Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Jon's Time -- Session 3 of Summer Camp Begins - Days 1 & 2

After a summer camp break over Independence Day, we are starting up again.  It's a halfway meeting point today and since Mister is working from home, I have a car.  How fortunate that is.  Since it's an afternoon pickup, by the time I get back into Dallas with Jon, it is time for dinner.  We ask if he likes Thai and he really doesn't know.  Well now is as good a time to find out as any.  Our favorite spot is Thai Opal and as we settle in, my mouth is already looking forward to the wonderful flavors we are about to be treated to.  Jon orders an orange chicken and declares it "fantastic."  I think the next comment is, "Can we come again?"  That's about it for day one -- back to the house and just some relaxin'.  I'm tired from just driving.  How sad is that?



All right then.  Let's get this camp session started.  Today we are without a car so, "Hello DART."  We're off to the arts district and the DMA for the afternoon.  Yes, you read that right.  I have a 14 year old grandson who LOVES to sleep in.  I let him and that explains our late start.  Grandpa will meet down at the DMA and bring us home.  All is good.  Jon's finds the creative room right away and settles in.  I hang with him for awhile and then Grandpa shows up.  We are waved off by Jon to go and enjoy the museum.  He is perfectly content right where he is.  There is not a drop of attention disorder in this one.  He can latch onto a project and stay with it FOREVER.

Right near where he is located, I spot a unique display near the courtyard windows.  For some reason the simplicity of this just resonates with me.  I mean, seriously, I could make these oh so easy, but I know I won't.  They are fun to look at though.

I also see a painting that stops me in my tracks.  The colors -- oh the colors.  I NEED to do something with this pallette.  Isn't it just divine?


One last cool moment -- panda bears.  Yep, just panda bears.  It's a CHAIR.  So fun.


Now back to Jon.  He is not finished YET, but we need to head home before the traffic gets totally out of whack.  After stuffing his pockets with supplies, he takes advantage of every opportunity to sit and work on it.  After all the time he has invested ---- TA-DA.  It's made with twist ties, masking tape, string, and foil.  I think he did great.


The one request he has given me for this week is to do some cooking.  Tonight he has asked to make a meatloaf and baked potatoes.  I'm down with that so let's start by crushing some crackers.  (Grandpa HATES when we use the rolling pin for these.  Don't let him see this picture.)

After that, all the ingredients go into a bowl and then the fun starts.  Yep, get those clean hands in there and squish it all up.  Gotta love the smile.  Hey, if it wasn't so cold on my hands, I'd love it too.  Next, prepping the potatoes with some bacon grease and salt.  Yes, I love baked potatoes this way.  When you cook in my kitchen, you make it the way "I" like it.  Hahahaha


We also prepare some beans for steaming, cook a little bacon, and shred some cheese.  Voila - dinner is served.  Great job Jon.

Dessert?  Hmmm.    I did buy a few shortcakes and we have strawberries and whipping cream.  That'll work.  Jon gets the cream all whipped up after slicing the strawberries.  Hey, I'm not dumb -- there's a lot of free labor in this house right now.

Everything is just so yummy.  It's time to relax for awhile.  See ya'll tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment