Thursday, July 23, 2015

Bekah's Visit - Boston and Home - Days 4, 5, 6

The day starts bright and early as Bekah and I are being picked up by DART and heading towards the airport.  We have a 9:00 flight and arrive in Boston around noon to check into our room on the ship before the daily sailing departs.  Yep, that's right.  In case you didn't read the previous post, we are staying on a clipper ship in Boston Harbor.  Ya just NEVER know what I'm gonna come up with next.

One needs to stop and wonder if she is at all happy about this trip.  The pictures certainly don't depict it at all.  Then again, she has real issues with me taking pictures of her.  Her friends are fine, but either me or her grandfather just seems to be more than she can handle.  It's time to fly.




Upon arriving in Boston, we take the subway to the harbor, drop off our luggage at the ship's office and make plans to come back this evening.  Apparently I'm not so smart and the ship is already out.  I really don't care as long as I don't have to haul my suitcase around.  Backpacks only.  Let's go see Boston.

We are fairly close to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and as we walk towards it, there is a busker doing a show.  As we are drawn in to watch, there are a couple of guys getting people to come into the center and bend over.  Apparently another guy is going to jump over them - from one end to the other.  Strangely enough, he is successful but the hype was way more than the show itself.  I'm sure it's a good money maker though, as these people donated money to get to be in the center.  Crazy.


Now -- I am starved and the Marketplace is right here.  It is also a wee bit chilly out so soup sounds dang good and I want mine in a bread bowl.  Now I really shouldn't say soup -- chowder.  I have lobster bisque while Bekah goes for the clam chowder.  Yum.  It hits the spot and we are now ready to explore the day away.  I think this was lunch and dinner as it's quite late in the afternoon now.

Since we are doing the Freedom Trail tomorrow, Bekah wants to go see Back Bay and perhaps do some shopping.  It's a bit of a walk but we just start out and soon find ourselves at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade.  This is the largest morning exercise group I have ever seen.  The music is playing and they are having what appears to be a good time working out.  Um, no thank you.  Two days of walking in this city is going to be enough for me.


Back across the bridge and down into Back Bay we go.  I adore the architecture here.  Ah my heart -- Boston has definitely got a place in it.

We come to the First Baptist Church and it is so gorgeous with the tower covered in ivy.  I looked it up to learn more about it and here is what Wikipedia has to say:  The First Baptist Church (or "Brattle Square Church") is an historic American Baptist Churches USA congregation, established in 1665. It is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the United States. It first met secretly in members homes, and the doors of the first church were nailed shut by a decree from the Puritans[when?]. The church was forced to move to Noddle's Island. The church was forced to be disguised as a tavern and members traveled by water to worship. Rev. Dr. Stillman led the church in the North End for around 40 years[when?]. The church moved to Beacon Hill[when?], where it was the tallest steeple in the city and nicknamed the "Church of the Holy Toothpick".[by whom?] After a slow demise under Rev. Dr. Rollin Heber Neale, the church briefly joined with the Shawmut Ave. Church, and the Warren Avenue Tabernacle, and merged and bought the current church in 1881, for $100,000.00[citation needed]. Since 1882 it has been located at the corner of Commonwealth Avenue and Clarendon Street in the Back Bay. The interior is a pending Boston Landmark.  Pretty cool.  No, the links don't work as this is a copy/paste but you can find it on Wiki yourself if you wish to learn more.



I am not at all sure what is up right now but my feet are killing me.  I have walked this city many times and never had this issue.  Perhaps my sandals weren't the best option this time?  We spot an ice cream shop and stop in for a treat and to rest my feet.  Ahhhh, that's better.

It turns out that the ice cream shop is right next to a Vans store.  Bekah is all excited to go check it out and I want to give my feet more time to rest so I send her on her merry way.  A little while later, she comes and says she wants to show me a pair of Winnie the Pooh shoes.  I tell her to try them on and then while she is doing so, I ask if they have any of these in plain white.  They do and are less than $50 bucks so I try a pair on.  Oh my, that is heaven to these sore feet.  Sold.  As we are walking out of the store, Bekah turns to me and says, "I have the coolest grandma - she's wearing Vans."  Apparently I am now cool -- forget that it was because my feet hurt.


Okay, on we go.  It's crazy how fast the day has gone by and as we start our walk back towards the harbor, the sun is fading and the light on the buildings looks beautiful.

We find a subway station and shorten the trip back to save my poor feet.  Well, and of course, because it's fun.

By the time we are back at the harbor it is pretty dark and we stop at the office to retrieve our luggage and then board the ship.



Okay -- I'll admit, this is pretty dang cool.  I am so glad I found this amazing opportunity and within no time we are settled into our little cabin.  It has bunk beds (yes, I'm taking the bottom one) and a small sink/mirror inside.  The restroom is common shared out in the hallway.  It is definitely tight quarters but is made up for by the rocking motion and just the fun of it all.

Here's a little tour around the ship.

A common library where I find a copy of Willie Nelson's book:  "It's a Long Story: My Life" to read while here.  I'm leaving the book I just finished as trade in case I don't get it finished before we go home.


Harbor view


And of course, the lights of the city.  We stay up on deck for quite awhile and meet several other people staying on board.  Most of the evening is spent talking with a couple from the Czech Republic and I don't mean a romantic couple -- just two people traveling together.  I give up before Bekah does as she is really enjoying the conversation.  Night.

__________________

It's a lovely morning and I'm up and awake before Bekah.  Finding some quiet time up on deck, I settle in to read before the day starts.  It is also giving my feet a chance to breath before I cram them back into shoes again.  Oh, she's awake and taking MY picture now.


This gives you a better idea of how big our clipper is.  Our time is done this morning, though, as we must debark so that they can prepare for sailing.  Our room is locked up and away we go.  First some coffee and pastry and then we are on our way.  Lookout Freedom Trail -- here we come.


There are a few things on the Freedom Trail that I truly do adore and The Old South Meetinghouse is one of them.


Oh these pews.  Love, love, love.


This time I manage to find some literature to photograph so that I can learn more later on.  I've decided to post it here as well so that you can learn right along with me.  The first picture is the middle of the brochure and the bottom ones are the front and back.



Just look at the history here.  Look at the details and reasons for everything.  It's simply amazing to me.

From their website:  "Old South Meeting House, where the Boston Tea Party began in 1773.  One of the nation's most important colonial site, Old South Meeting House still stands in the heart of bustling downtown Boston today, open to the public daily as a historic site, museum and an active gathering place for discussion and celebration.

Old South meeting House was the favorite stage in Boston's drama of revolution, the place where colonists gathered time after time to challenge British rule in the years leading to the American Revolution.  It is the place where unprecedented numbers of people from all walks of life engaged in debate and dialogue that would change the fate of a nation.  These gatherings were larger and more inclusive than were ever held in the colony, earning the building a reputation as the hotbed of the rebellion.  Old South Meeting House is the place where, meeting by meeting, vote by vote, a revolution began."

As I've been to Boston several times and have done posts on the Freedom Trail, I'm not going to show the whole trail.  You can click on THIS LINK or THIS POST if you want to see past trips.  Next up for us is City

I'm trying to get a good picture of it but things are just not working out for me so here is a quick shot through the iron fence.  It's just so big and you can't get far enough away without being in the middle of a very busy street.  Benjamin Franklin stands out front.  I like.


Next is King's Chapel.  Yes, we are moving along.  I have definitely shown these before, but oh my goodness, I love so very much.

Look at the beautiful pipes to the organ in the alcove over the door we entered through.  I wish so very much that I could hear the organ music come through them but I have never been here at just the right time.  Not today either, dang.

I want to check out the King's Chapel Burial Grounds a bit more as I have not really explored them.  I do love cemeteries. I know some people find that strange, but not me.  They are peaceful and great storytellers.

Again, I find some information that I record to take home with me.  These tombstones are some of the first in the Boston area and many are so weathered that you can't even read them anymore.

Everything in me wants to stay all day and learn as much as I can about the people and their stories but we have quite a bit of ground to still cover today.

I'll just have to settle with a little information and a few pictures to study when I get home.  Oh just look at how the stones tilt at all the different angles.



A little further up the road is another burying ground, this time it is the Granary and here is where John Hancock's grave is marked with a nice memorial stone.


We are at the Park Street Church now and if it seems like the trail has a lot of churches and cemeteries, well it does.  That was the life then and the history now.  It's so incredible to me that we still have these buildings and I truly love coming here.  When I was in Ireland, I was amazed at how the old buildings/castles are all still there --- not so much like that taking place in the western half of the U.S.  We just tear stuff down.  

Anyway -- moving on.  Park Street Church is so simple and yet so perfect in that simplicity.

Again, I try and capture a bit of information for later.  Also, as I think about it, perhaps it is also for you, the reader, if you have not had a chance to visit this part of the country.

From their website:   "Park Street Church is a historic stop on the Freedom Trail.  The founding of the church is predated to 1804 when the "Religious Improvement Society" began weekly meetings with lectures and prayer.  The society organized the charter of the church on February 27, 1809 by twenty-six local people, mostly former members of the Old South Meeting House, who wanted to plant a church with orthodox Trinitarian theology.

The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 1 and construction was completed by the end of the year.  The architect took inspiration from several early pattern books, and his design is reminiscent of a London church by Christopher Wren.  Park Street church's steeple rises to 217 feet, and remains a landmark visible from several Boston neighborhoods.  The church was the tallest building in the United States from 1810 to 1846.

The church is located adjacent to the historic Granary Burying Ground.  It had its first worship service on January 10, 1810.  The church became known as "Brimstone Corner", in part because of the fervent missionary character of its preaching, and in part because of the storage of gunpowder during the War of 1812."


We are finally at the Boston Common.  This is perhaps the coolest city park anywhere.  It at least rivals Central Park in New York.

Behind the park is the Massachusetts State Library.  What a majestic building.

From here we are moving back down into town to make the switch to the north side.  As we pass the Old State House, spot a musician playing on the sidewalk and are both dumbfounded as to what the instrument is.  We talk about if ro awhile and I tell bekah to go ask, but she is having no part of that.  Well alrighty then.  I guess it is up to me.

It is called a Hurdy Gurdy.  I think perhaps I will never forget that, but I'm sure I will.  I wish I had had the forethought to video as he was playing, but I didn't.  I've kind of got the picture taking part down, but I forget how easy video is now with these wonderful phones.

Speaking of the Old State House.  How many know the story of the weathervane on top?  If you've read my previous posts, I know I've told you but I'll tell it again.  It was placed there in 1742 and was used as a tool to determine if one was a spy or not.  They believed that only a TRUE Bostonian would be able to surely identify what it was.  


We really need to pick up the pace now and once we are in the North side, I am starting to be tempted by food.  Oh this bakery smells divine and I really want to just grab a loaf to eat.

We've made it to the Paul Revere Mall for the iconic required picture with the man  himself.  Just gotta do it.

There is also a memorial garden here that pays tribute to fallen soldiers with the use of their dogtags.  It is quite sobering to stand and realize how many names are here.


Across the street is St. Stephen's Church and we stop just briefly as we are both getting very hungry.  We are near Little Italy and when in Boston's Italian section, it is definitely pizza time.

I want to know where the best local spot is so as embarrassing as it is to Bekah, I stop a delivery guy in the street and ask.  He has a very quick answer and gives great directions.  We thank him and walk away.  As we do, Bekah says, "Cool, not only did we find out where the pizza is, but I heard an authentic Boston accent."  Well there ya go.

We have been sent to Regina Pizzeria and arrive to find we have to wait for a spot.  I am willing to sit anywhere so we take seats at the bar and order.  Dang, so good.  Bekah proclaims that it's the best pizza she has ever eaten.  Score one for us.


After a nice break, we are back out again.  We are only halfway through the trail and are also halfway through our day.

It's now time to take the bridge and cross over the river into Charlestown for the rest of the walk.

As we come to a small park, there are stones in the grass and a sign explaining.  Why haven't I seen this before?  Here is what the sign says, "The stones in the lawn in front of you are the actual foundation stones of the Three Cranes Tavern that were uncovered during the archaeological dig.  Post holes marking the location of the original wooden posts of the Great House structure were also found among the foundation stones.  These structural elements are reused here to designate the foundation as a "trace" of the original building."  Very cool.


From there we go up to Bunker Hill and Bekah makes the trek to the top of it.  I did that with Bob the last time and am not up to a repeat this go round.  She not only makes the trek, she rocks it -- running all the way up and back down.  Crazy girl.  One whale of a lot of steps.

The last stop on this side is at the shipyard where the U.S.S. Constitution, nicknamed "Old Ironsides" resides.  I was planning on actually touring it this time but it is being worked on and not hosting tours right now.  Drat.   We grab a ferry back to the harbor and into the city.


Hey, isn't that our ship out in the harbor?


It's time to turn our focus to Cambridge.  We have tickets for a soccer game tonight and need to catch the train that will take us there.  That means we need to get to the station pronto.  On the way, Bekah sees some kids playing in the fountains and decides to give it a whirl.  She'll even cool off a bit as the day has gotten quite warm.

When we arrive in Cambridge, it's a decent walk to the stadium at Harvard and we have to cross the Charles River.

We arrive at the game, pick up our tickets and are still too early to get in.  Settling in on the lawn and relaxing for awhile is just fine with us.


When the stadium opens, we take our tickets to find our seats.  Do you see the problem?  We are in row Q.  It only goes to P.

We take up seats in P as do others with the same ticketing and before long people are just grabbing any old seat because someone is already in theirs.  Odd, truly odd.

It's finally time for the game to start and we are watching the Boston Breakers play the Chicago Red Stars and WIN.  Yay.  That makes it all so much better.  It was also kind of fun to watch a game under the lights.


By the time the game is over and we get back to Boston, it's quite late and we are so hungry.  Right on the harbor by our ship is Legal Sea Foods and it is open until 10.  It is already after 9 but we go in anyway.  Bekah has not had lobster yet so that's the plan for tonight.  It is simply delicious and I think we are almost the last two in the place when we leave.

Now for some relaxing on the ship before bed.  We have the chance to visit with our shipmates again and pack for an early departure tomorrow.  We have a 6 a.m. flight.  Dang that's early.

Sunrise on the clipper.  Beautiful.  I manage to snap this while waiting for Bekah to come up the stairs.  Wow.  Simply Wow.


We are off to the subway and then the airport.  It's a easy exchange this morning with very few people around.  In fact, we arrive before the lines are even running and need to wait for awhile.  Sure hope that doesn't hinder us at the airport and we make our flight on time.  We don't and it's good-bye to Boston for now.  I hope it doesn't take me too long to return.  Love it here.

Once home, we spend the remainder of the day relaxing, doing laundry, and packing.  I am driving halfway to Abilene tomorrow to make another switch.  This has been such a great week and I wish I had more time with Bekah.  It's truly fun having a granddaughter old enough to do things like this with.  Fingers crossed we get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment