Sunday, December 24, 2017

Attempting Italian Bread

Happy Christmas Eve!!  Mister and I are in the kitchen preparing for a family dinner tomorrow and I remember that last year I was in here creating a taste of my past and making Lefse (yes, that is a link that you should definitely click on).  So this year, we're going forward instead of into the past.  I have always wanted to venture out a bit in my bread making arena and today is my chance.

A few weeks ago, I went on a hunt for a cookbook I have had FOREVER.  It had vanished.  Oh, I know it's here somewhere and long after I'm gone my kids will find it and remember me calling each one of them asking if they have it.  It'll be fun giggle for them.  I say this because I gave up the hunt, went on the internet, and ordered another copy of it. Yes, I liked it THAT much.  It's from 1973 and this one is in much better shape than the one I had.  It doesn't have all my wonderful notes in it, but I'm ready to go.  Today, we are going to tackle Italian bread.

It's really kind of funny to me because it shows how much our social wording has changed.  The category that the Italian Bread recipe is found under is "Foreign and Holiday Breads."  Cool, let's bake.



Here is a note of forewarning -- I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do.  I'm sorry.  I think I just had too many irons in the fire and hands in the dough - it is what it is.

In a large mixer bowl combine 3 cups of flour and 2 packages (2 1/2 tsp) of yeast.


  Combine 2 1/4 cups warm (110 degrees) and 1 tablespoon of salt. 


Add it to the dry mixture in mixer bowl. 


Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly.  Beat 3 minutes at high speed. 


By hand stir in enough flour (4 1/4 to 4 3/4 cups) to make a very stiff dough.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and very elastic (15 - 25 minutes).  This is a STIFF dough and my machine could not handle it so out came the step stool and I set to work.


Shape in a ball.  Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.  cover and let dough rise in a warm place fill double (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours).  Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface.  Divide dough in half.  Cover; let rest 10 minutes.  Shape.

The shapes we decide on are a long loaf and and round loaf.

 For the long loaf roll the dough to a 15 x 12 inch rectangle.  Beginning at long side of rectangle, roll dough up tightly, sealing well as you roll.  Taper ends of loaf.  Place diagonally, seam side down, on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.  With sharp knife, make diagonal cuts, 2 1/2 inches apart (1/8 - 1/4 inch deep), on tops of loaf.

For a round loaf, shape dough into a round ball;  place ball on large greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.  With sharp knife, score loaf, making 3 shallow cuts, 1 inch apart, across top.  Then, make 3 crosswise cuts.

Cover and let shaped loaves rise in warm place till double (45-60 minutes).  When ready to bake, place a large shallow pan on lower rack of oven and fill with boiling water.  Take one beaten egg white and add 1 tablespoon water to it.  Brush over top and sides of loaves.

Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes; brush again with egg white mixture.  Bake about 20 minutes longer.  Cool on wire racks.  Oh my, these are just so dang good hot out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment