Saturday, December 16, 2017

1st Annual Ornament and Cookie Exchange

I'm just going to say this right out -- the holidays are tough for me.  Most of my family is a long ways away and it makes it impossible for large Christmas gatherings AND even if we could, they need to be in their own homes enjoying this time of year.  The facts don't change though -- it's hard.  It's the only time of year that I really wish I could go back in time and have littles all over again.  Oh the magic of it all and the fun I had with traditions.  It's that word, tradition, that made me think this year.  Perhaps, new traditions need to be put in place.  New gatherings.  New joy in the season.



With that thought in mind, I quickly set up an event and invited some friends.  There's no looking back now and, thus, the 1st Annual Ornament and Cookie Exchange is underway.  Oh my.  What have I done?  As with any new undertaking, the ideas just started flowing and soon I have to limit myself or the party will last for hours and hours.  Slow down girl.

I spotted an ornament online awhile back and think it would be great as a "do-it-at-the-party" project.  That does mean I should try one first.  With all the red and white in the house this year, that is the direction I go.  It is called the Prairie Point Star Ornament and you can find tutorials online.

Within an hour, it is complete from start to finish.  Now, I don't want to use an entire hour at the party so need to think of ways to speed the process up a bit.



I think I have an idea and since I'm still doing the "clean out a drawer a day" think, I'll work on the Christmas fabric drawer today as well.  As I'm hunting for pieces to everything, a quick peek in the 5" square drawer nets me EXACTLY the number of white pieces I need.  Wow.  This is destiny, I just know it and quickly draw circles, sew, and pink the edges.  One step done and now no machine required.  Next, I cut lots and lots of 5" squares, press, and fold into little kits, complete with the hanger tying them together.  Amazon comes through with some fun buttons and I think I'm ready.  I love it.

While going through that Christmas drawer, I find this piece.  I have no idea where it came from but I think I can use it for the cookie display table.  All it needs is two sides hemmed.  Yes, it's a bit dated, but will work.  I'm pretty pleased with it actually.


Now, here's where my brain really goes a bit crazy.  I've asked everyone for their recipes in advance and have typed them all into some cute bordered templates.  It turns out that it is 7 pages of recipes and color copies are crazy expensive.  My budget just can't handle that.  What to do??  What to do??  AHHHH, a quick call to a friend who can do them at work and problem solved.  Two days later, I have them all and it's time to trim so they will fit in the page protectors I bought.

The page protectors now go into binders (also courtesy of Amazon) and a sheet of paper goes into the front of each one along with a bow tying it all together.

I move one step forward and decorate the front of my inside sheet as an example for next year's contest.  I like it.  So super and cute and once again, red and white.  That's it.  These are ready to hand out and next year, no recipes can be repeated and all new inserts will be handed out.  I can't wait to see these a few years down the road.  It's going to be glorious.


A couple of days prepping food and baking occur and now the day has arrived.  Oh, I really am pleased with how it all looks.


As my wonderful friends start arriving, great conversations are taking place all around the house.





It's time to eat.  Thank goodness because I am absolutely famished.  In addition to the yogurt parfaits, peanutty banana bread, cherry eggnog tea bread, and juice that are on the table already, the buffet is set up and looking great.  Oh such big thanks to my sweet husband.  He really is amazing.






After brunch, it's time to clear the table and make our ornaments.  Needles, everyone.



They all turn out so very wonderful.  Whew.  Now it's time for the ornament exchange and they have chosen to play the steal game with a two steal limit.


Jennifer unwrapping a gift that has at least 4 layers of wrapping.


All of the ornaments are so cute and fun.  I think everyone goes away pleased and with a new treat for their tree.  I know I love mine and, of course, I stole it.


And the last part of the event.  Our cookie exchange.  Don't they look wonderful?  It's time to sample and then pack up boxes for each person to take home with them.



I have 3 bakery boxes for each person to use as they go around the table to collect one dozen of each cookie other than their own.  Why not their own?  Well because apparently I neglected to count myself in this little event and there are 11 of us instead of 10 and we each brought 10 dozen cookies to exchange.  Oops.

Before good-byes, we all gather together in front of a very bright window (my bad) for a group picture WITH their ornaments.  Everyone finished one and they are just divine. 


Thank you, Gwen, Virginia, Meri, Paula, Stephannie, Jennifer, Jennifer, Samantha, Lori, and Sherri, for a purely delightful day.  Hugs all around.  I am already starting to get ideas for next year, including the cookie I will make.  So fun. 

Special thanks for those who brought me such special gifts.  Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart.  It touched me more than I can say and my sweetie is appreciative of the wine too.

I am, indeed, blessed with crazy cool friends.  Tradition is what it is all about AND it is my first step back into a more multi-dimensional, less crazy year.  I want to bake more, cook more, do various crafts more, spend more time with my love, and yes - still quilt.  The world is expanding for me -- and I'm pleased.

My ornament is on 'my' little tree and looks grand.  For those who wanted the recipes from today -- keep scrolling down.  I've provided links or actual recipes for those I know were asked about.  If I missed any, please let me know.  Have a truly Merry Christmas everyone. Hugs.


Almond Anise Biscotti
Cranberry Scones
Fruit and Oat Scones
Holiday Cherry Eggnog Tea Bread
Peanutty Chocolate Banana Bread
Artichoke Frittata

Additional Requested Recipes: 

Frog-Eyed Salad

1/2 pound acini di pepe pasta, uncooked
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 - 15 1/4 oz. can juice-pack crushed pineapple, drained, reserving juice
1 - 16 oz. can fruit cocktail, drained
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream, whipped.  (I did not add this for the brunch)

Cook acini de pepe as package directs; drain.  In a heavy saucepan, beat eff with wire whisk until foamy.  Stir in sugar, flour, salt and reserved pineapple juice.  Over low heat, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  In a large bowl, combine acini di pepe with egg mixture.  Chill thoroughly, about 1 hour.  Stir in pineapple, fruit cocktail and marshmallows.  Fold in whipped cream.  cover; chill thoroughly.  Stir before serving.

Dilly Seafood Quiche 

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (or make your own single crust)
4 eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I did not add this for the brunch)
6 ounces crabmeat - real or flake/leg style imitation, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 ounce (1/4 cup) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1 green onion with top, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Place crust in pie pan and bake 15 minutes; remove from oven.  In 1 qt. bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, salt, dill weed and hot pepper sauce until well blended.  Add crabmeat, cheeses and green onion to egg mixture; mix well.  Pour into prepared crust.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment