Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham -- Comfort Food Tonight

We have been traveling so much lately and haven't been to the store in awhile so what can I put together for dinner?  There is ham in the freezer, a bag of potatoes that need to be used, and some cream.  I can do this.

I start by melting 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.

I have prepped all the necessary ingredients ahead of time and so am ready to start putting it all together.

To the butter, I add 1 small minced onion and cook until it is softened and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes.  Next, add 2 medium garlic cloves that have been pressed (about 2 teaspoons).


I let tht good until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds, and then add 4 pounds of potatoes which have been peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices.  I used a mandoline to get consistent results.  At this time I also add 3 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of whole milk (had skim and some 1/2 and 1/2 on hand), 4 sprigs fresh thyme (it's winter so I only had dried thyme), 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Bring it all to a simmer and cover; adjusting the heat as necessary to  maintain a light simmer.  Cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.  Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.


Transfer the potato mixture to a 3-quart gratin dish and sprinkle with 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup).


Bake at 350 degrees until the cream has thickened and is bubbling around the sides, and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes.  (I lost track of taking pictures at this point and as a result my next picture is after we have served it.  Grr.)


It's time for dinner.  Add some fresh tomatoes and yum.  Comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment