Thursday, February 20, 2014

Let's Get Sconed

I wake up in the mood to bake again.  I know, I know -- that's like twice this month right?  Did I just type "like"?  Perhaps I should go back to bed and start again.  Nope -- onto my scones.

Today I am doing Fruit 'N Oat Scones by Pampered Chef.  I have been making these for close to 20 years now and my family loves them.  First step:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.


Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add 1/2 cup dried fruit (I am using pomegranate this time but all types work well).


Add 1/2 cup milk and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.


Knead gently 8-10 times.  Using lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 9-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.


Cut into 8-12 wedges (depending on how large you want your servings to be); separate slightly.  Sprinkle with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.


Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and serve warm.


A scone and English breakfast tea --- what a good start to a morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment