Saturday, February 1, 2014

And Jared is 9 -- What???

My grandchildren are getting older and I just don't think I like it.  It means that my children's ages are reaching ones that definitely make me feel old.  I have to work at remembering that I am only 55 and still have a whole lot of life in this body -- it's true, but my body reminds me daily that it's not the same as it was.  Enough -- this is supposed to be a post of joy.

The day starts with a trip to Temple for Jared's birthday party.  I absolutely love that we are close enough to spend these types of wonderful moments together.  Plus, I am really excited to give Jared his gift.

As we arrive, Jared is at a basketball game so we simply stop there first.  It is such fun to watch him play and I cannot believe how much he has changed in the past year.  We remember that it was a year ago that we drove down for his baptism and attended a basketball game that day as well.  Again -- where the heck is the time going?

Jared is number 10 and try as we might, neither Mister or I are able to capture a really good shot of him playing.



When we arrive, the score is 16-4 -- With the comeback of the other team, it is up in the air until the very last second and yet they hold them off and win.

After the game, we drop everyone off at the house and make a quick run to the store for all the party supplies.  A large bouquet of balloons also makes it's way home with us and as we bring it into the house, it only takes Jen's new kitty, Grace, feels that they have been brought just for her to play with.  At all times, she must have a string to grab and haul around the house.  I absolutely love it.


After we arrive back at the house, we quickly unload the perishables and climb back into the car for another basketball game.  This time it is Jacob's turn.  This has to be the lowest scoring game I have seen in a very long time, but it is certainly exciting to watch.  Jacob does a great job and I am impressed at how important he is to his team.  Unfortunately his team does not win, but it is a very good game to watch.



After the game, Jen suggests that we go to get a late lunch at a place that Mister has been wanting to check out for quite awhile.  It is called Carmen's and is a little family run Mexican place in Belton.  Louis is oh so skeptical, but agrees to go along.  It is a fun little place and is a one person show.  When you arrive, you can help yourself to the chips and drinks and then order at the window.  Everything is very laid back and rustic.  I love it.  We order plates that certainly fill everyone up and enjoy the time to just visit for awhile.



Since my plate is almost empty in this picture, I must like my meal.


It is time to get back to the house and set up for Jared's party.  He has a few friends coming over for a Wii party and then they are all going to the movies after dinner.  We put together a nice table and then I call Jared over to give him his gift before the other kids arrive.  He takes the seat of honor and reads his card with all seriousness.  Then, I give him the bag and he pulls out his quilt.  I absolutely love this smile.  It truly makes my day.


Mister and I have made Jared a quilt -- check previous posts for all the details -- and it is a hit.  Yay!



Now to get the dinner ready.  Jared has requested waffles with all types of toppings and within moments Jen is ready to go.  Good thing as the house is starting to fill up.



Mister pitches in and starts getting drinks for everyone as they dig in with their sugar fest.


Happy birthday Jared.  We are not going to the movies and they are going to do cake and ice cream after that so we head back north to Dallas.  It has been a fun day and I am so glad we got to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment