Sunday, December 27, 2020

Flowers and Birds -- A Morning With Nature

 The weather this year is simply marvelous and we are taking some much needed time in the sun.  There is much to be said for that wonderful Vitamin D that we are all lacking.  Today, the Dallas Arboretum is our starting point and I think you will be surprised at what we find.  So much beauty --- in December.

The first thing we notice is that our beloved lake is ALIVE with activity this morning.  From this far away, the number of waterfowl is astounding.  Zoom in --- you'll see what I mean.


Now, back to the arboretum.  Come along and enjoy the splendor with us.  These gorgeous agave start us out.



Blooms in all shapes, sizes, and colors.


When we come to the great lawn, I am shocked.  I don't think I've ever seen these beds empty.  Are they getting ready to plant the tulip bulbs?  It's possible as I don't think we've been here during the planting before.  Notice the 12 Days of Christmas gazebos?  We visited them at night during their first year and you can share in that joy by clicking on this Magical Night LINK.  


When the trees are bare, the whole world takes on a different look.  Some may not even know where we are on the grounds.


A stop in the rose garden is the highlight of the morning for me.  Yes, there are roses!!  This is one of my favorite tea roses as it's aroma is absolutely divine.  I'm sharing this particular bloom as it is sooooo big.  Mister stuck his finger near to show size.


The garden is blooming beautifully and I needed this so much today.


Next, the Camelias just are breathtaking right now and they are just starting to bloom.


This one is fascinating as both of the larger flowers are on the same plant and yet look totally different other than color.


This red flower is huge -- 


and just to give you an idea, here is the bud that will make another.


Some many varieties -- so much color -- so good for us to see and take in.



Even the bees are enjoying the day.


A look back as we leave the camelias.  Oh my.


The Christmas Village is up and I want to take a peek.



There are a few others around in this area, but we are able to keep a good distance and still enjoy the fun.



What a great walk through the gardens.  As we are on the way home, Mister drives around the lake and as we near the electrical substations, I can hear the Monk Parakeets so we stop.  They live in the beams and their habitat is maintained by several groups.  If you want to learn about them, here is a great LINK to a great WFAA article.  The sun is in our eyes and we only have my phone so the pics are not the best but if you stick with me, I'll share one of Mister's pics from a previous visit here.



They are also in the trees behind us.


If you look close, you'll see many nests and this is only one tower.


Now, I promised a pic from before.  In 2011, Mister took his camera and lucked out.  It was Christmas Day and this was my first visit to see the parrots.  Such great memories.


Today, he is just enjoying the moments.  No camera - just wandering.


Our final view before heading back home.  Ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment