Thursday, September 10, 2020

Vacation in Montana - Day 6

Mister and I have decided to take a day trip today.  We are off to the north-western part of the state for a bit.  Well, more north-western than we already are.  Libby and Eureka are the destinations and since I was only in Libby a couple of times when I was a teen and have never been to Eureka, it'll be new to both of us.

A quick detour in Bigfork for coffee is made and we are soon on our way. 

Along the route is the Thompson Lakes (yes, it's plural) area and a quick stop for a breathe and chance to just enjoy beauty.  That's what this drive is all about today.  I have a chance to work on a reflection photo --- not too bad.


Everywhere we look --- reflections.  This lake is so calm --- like glass.


A quick peek at Loon Lake. (I think)


Libby is known as the City of Eagles and as we enter --- this beauty stands proud.


Our first stop here is at a quilt shop and I've shared that in a separate post.  If you would like to peek in at it, here is your LINK.  Mister read about a chainsaw competition taking place today, but as it is already after noon and food has not met our bodies, we are looking for sustenance.  Fortunately, Cabinet Mountain Brewing serves lunch and we are on our way.


We are able to order a beer with lunch and as it's been awhile since we've been in Montana, I'd forgotten the whole card system.  You are allowed four beers during a visit to a location.  That's it.  We have no plans for more than one, but they give us this just to make sure.  It still makes me smile each time.  It's a great location, right on the main street and the chainsaw competition is directly outside.  At one point they fire up the saws and since the doors are wide open, we can hear the creativity starting to flow.  As I'm up taking pictures, a quick peek out the door can easily be done.


Mister says we'll check it out before leaving.  Back inside - 


Ahhhh, food and drink --- it makes the whole world a happier place.


With lunch finished -- bring on the chainsaws.  I know nothing about this, so just enjoy the pictures with much commentary and I'll continue on later in the post.




Chips flying everywhere.



TURTLES on a log - 


More turtles --- these are so cool.



Now, THIS is a tiki bar.



The clock is ticking away and it's time to continue on.  Following the Kootenai River and pointing north, we are on our way.  As we drive, the Libby Dam signs beckon us in and we take an exit that brings us, truly, right to the base of it.  I mention to Mister that it feels just a bit eerie knowing than an entire wall of water is right behind it and we are just standing here.


The view looking away from the dam.


Back onto the highway and just down the road is the access to the top of the dam.  Of course we're stopping - along with every older person and biker on the road.  It just makes me smile.


The beginning of Lake Koocanusa.  It continues all the way into Canada.  Crazy.


After taking a short walk towards the restroom - through a tunnel that takes me from one side of the dam to the other, I come out to the most splendid view.

How incredible is this?

One of the things Mister and I remark on while driving is the sheer amount of rock that was cut through to create this road.  It's standing high above us everywhere we look.


As we travel down the road, there is a chance to get down close to the lake --- and I want you to know that these chances are few and far between.  Look how beautiful it is -- even with machinery in the picture.


On the way down to the previous picture, we had passed a campground that had me shaking my head.  Our return trip up allows us to stop for a minute and snap a couple of pictures.  I have never before seen campgrounds with RV's covered for the year.  Have they been this way long?  Is this an annual thing?  Does someone watch over them?  I'm just full of questions.


Another rock wall - 


Approaching this bridge gives both of us the desire to see more and learn about it.  We cross over (this is taken from the other side as we exit our car.)  It is simply beautiful and the lake is phenomenal.  So pristine.  I know that I say this at least 10 times during our drive.


So - you  all know me -- I need to educate against your will.  Here is what I have learned about this area:  On the east side of the reservoir is the 67 mile long Lake Koocanusa Scenic Byway or State Highway 37 which connects Libby and Eureka.  The road is open year round, offering vistas of the river and the reservoir.  On the west side (where I'm standing below) a forest development road (FDR) provides access to streams, drainages, and recreational sites as it follows the reservoir.  The FDR is a curvy, leisurely, two-laned, paved road that closes in the winter. 

Today the river remains a major transportation route.  The highway was moved to its present location as part of the construction of Libby Dam, which created the 93 mile long Lake Koocanusa.  The Koocanusa Bridge provides the only crossing on the northern end of the reservoir.  

The bridge was constructed before the dam was completed and the valley flooded so transportation would not be disturbed.  The bridge, at 215 feet above the river is not only the tallest and longest in Montana, it also holds the honor of being named in 1972 as the world's most beautiful long span bridge.


Sheer beauty.



Mister notices a drainage tube leading into the lake and suggests I crawl through and pop my head out on the other side.  Well, dang.  Can I?  I climb down and check it out but there is one factor stopping me --- can you guess what it is?  I have white pants on.  Plain and simple.  White pants.  Not going to do it.  Mister catches me on the return and here is a shot of the view down below.



It comes out right over this edge.  Oh well.


Nearby, this sign reminds us that care needs to be taken at all times.  I do have to admit that it might be time to replace the sign though -- this looks dang old.


Well, the day is passing quick and we need to get going on our return trip.  Once in Eureka, we glance north  where the port of entry to Canada is only 7 miles away and then turn south.  It's time for a pit stop and we have spotted signs on the road for a little brewery hidden away off the road.  Why not?  Here is H.A. Brewing Co.


A nice visit allows me a trip back in time as the owner and I went to high school at about the same time and knew many of the same people.  How fun.



He does small batch brews.


And this is pretty much the end of the day for us.  A quick stop on the way home at the grocery store and we are set.  A nice evening of relaxation and visiting is the perfect end of our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment