Sunday, September 20, 2020

Quick Trip to Abilene for the Weekend

 Impromptu trips are always fun.  We unexpectedly were invited to Abilene for the evening and decided to "just do it."  Leaving Dallas around 12:15 put us into Abilene earlier than we had told Jen.  Lunch was desired and I discovered that there were new breweries there that we had not explored.  Down to the SoDA district we went.

This is the South Downtown Abilene district and is currently undergoing a cool rejuvenation.  The spot we have stopped at has the most interesting signage on the corner and we are trying, with the help of Google, to figure out just what it used to be.  Apparently the Matera Paper Plant building used to be on this location and this is all that is left -- the vault.  The SoDA recently placed their sign here and it lights up after dark.  Sockdolager Brewing has been built on the location after the Matera building burned.



This seems like a perfect location and we are loving the outdoor games being played in the front.  In we go.  I love the sign on the door that says, "Sock•dol•a•ger  1.  A forceful blow  2.  An exceptional person or thing."  I appreciate this as I did not know the meaning of the word and am going with the second item for this place of business.  I can now add this to my vocabulary.


Yes!  An Oatmeal Stout with low percentage.  I'm truly tired of all the imperials these days.


It's excellent and about half way through (in glasses that we REALLY want to purchase), the food truck smell is beckoning.  It is Crooked Creek Meats and if the taste comes even close to the smell, I'm gonna highly recommend it.


Yum, right?  It is wonderful.  So much meat.  We split the sandwich in half and still had plenty for each of us.


Now, onto family time.  Arriving at Jen's, we spot this sign in the front yard.  Love it.


Jen and Louis are working on a Finders Seekers kit that has arrived.  They have a monthly subscription and now we are sucked in.  Happily --- willingly.  I love puzzles and this is a wonderful product.  Pssst - check out the ring on her finger --- it's her Masters Ring!!!  So proud of her.


Dinner with the fam.  Jon is home from college for the weekend so all four boys are chatting and happily debating various video games.



The rest of the evening is devoted to chatting and enjoying each other's company.  So many topics undertaken and although we are not always in agreement, this is one family that can discuss without anger or eliminating someone from our life.  It's really okay to agree to disagree now and then.  It doesn't change our love for each other.  Before we know it, it's late and one look at my sweetheart show he's beat.  I have to remember that we were at the Arboretum bright and early this morning.  Bed time.

I'm up early the next morning and quietly working on a hand project as the house slowly comes to life.  By 9 (I've been up since 6), I'm hungry and suggest a breakfast out.  Now, the house comes alive.  A local place, The Flipping Egg (what a wonderful name), is suggested and we are soon on our way.  With a 15 minute wait for a table, it's a chance for a couple of pictures.

Sunlight is right in our eyes --- yes, ALL the boys are taller than me now.


Add Jen, sunglasses on


Sunglasses off


Good-byes are always hard --- we are on our way back to Dallas and they will be returning Jon to school in San Angelo.  (Keep reading - our day is not over)



As we get near Fort Worth, I ask Mister if he wants a short break from driving.  I've located a couple of spots that are open on Sunday and he is willing.  As we park in the lot of the first location, I see this Jeep and show him one part of it.  His keen eyes soon point out many other fun items on this vehicle.  I love creativity in all shapes and sizes.


THIS is how to patch a Jeep.  I love it so much.




The location is in this building -- 


Cowtown Brewing --- you figured out it was a brewery, right?  This place is set up so strange.  You have to stop at the front, like a hostess station.  They take your credit card and give you a number to haul around.  Then we sit at the bar and receive a rather cold shoulder as Mister asks a question.  The look is also rather cold and corporate.  So far, we're not feeling it.  Also, 3 NE IPA'S and 6 Lagers???  Goodness.  We found their comfort zone, I guess.


I choose Lost in Translation and Mister does the Moondance.  To be honest, and I rarely do this to a place, they are both meh.  It's not a likely return spot for us.


As we leave, I finally see some signage outside.


While sitting in Cowtown, we Google anyone else along our route as this was the farthest east in Fort Worth area that is open today.  One in Arlington pops up and that's right on the way and not too far away.  It is down in the same area we were exploring a few weeks ago.  How did we miss this?  The parking area is packed, we can hear the music playing inside and with a large patio, we're thinking it will be okay.  Time to go in.  

The first thing I notice is that all of the beers and signage go with the theme.  How cool is that?  I already knew my choice from our search and Mister orders it while I snag a table for two away from everyone else.


THESE are delicious.  Honest.  The people behind the bar talk and help with anything, along with laughter and great answers to questions.  The feel here???  Remarkable.  (I grab this pic after a bit, while Mister has gone to find food.)


Spotting a house made root beer on the tap list, Mister goes up for a sample.  They give him a FULL glass but by the time I think about taking a picture, it's almost gone.  Sorry.  I WILL tell you that I would return here just for the root beer alone.  It is fantastic.  So, if you don't drink, stop there, have a root beer and enjoy the nearby food.

No comments:

Post a Comment