Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pork Loin Roast in the Mountains

I am in the mountains of Telluride, Colorado and home all by myself for the day.  It it seems like a good time to make an oven meal.  There is a chill in the air and I am ready for a roast.  Everyone is either at work or school and wouldn't it be nice to come home to a hot meal?  Well that is my thought process too.  Here we go.

I find a cast iron pan to work with and put in a 3 lb. pork roast that I have rubbed with a mixture of 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, and 1 1/2 tsp. thyme.  I add some salt and pepper and call it good.  I put this in the oven at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes.


Next, I take some potatoes and peel them and quarter them.


Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.  Boil for about 10 minutes.


Drain and cool the potatoes.  Put them in a large bowl and toss with 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1-2 tsp. chives, 1 tsp. thyme, and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder along with salt and pepper.  Remove roast from oven.


Arrange the potatoes around the roast in the pan.


I add some carrots which had been brushed with a bit of olive oil and back into the oven it all goes for an additional 45-60 minutes or until the roast has an internal temperature of 145 degrees.


And here is the finished product.  After removing everything from the pan, there are great goodies on the bottom of it.  I made up a quick gravy to pour over the slices of meat.  I think the meat was a bit dry so I would suggest a lid during the second roasting stage and perhaps just a bit of water or broth as well.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment