Sunday, October 19, 2014

Jacob and Jennifer's Birthdays/Jacob's Ordination

I asked Jen a week ago if we could combine Jacob's birthday with our trip to Abilene for his ordination to the Priesthood.  Upon approval, we made plans to drive over early this morning and arrive in time for brunch and a birthday party before church.

We arrive just a bit earlier than they expect us so the smart phone is put to use finding a local coffee shop for a drink and some down time from driving.  Now to move on towards the day.  We take off for the house (which is new and we have not been to yet) and promptly get lost due to my having one house number in my mind -- one that was not even close to the one we needed.  Yep -- my wonderful brain strikes again.  After a phone call we are soon back on track and discover that we are truly about 10 houses away.  OMG.  How crazy is this?

Hugs are soon given all the way around and we get a tour of the house.  I love it.  It is perfect for them and so many nooks and crannies for people and things.  Awesome.  Now, it is birthday time.  Jen has made cinnamon rolls for brunch and those along with some juice are enjoyed by all before it is time to light the candles on the cake.  It is time to blow them out once the song has been sung but wait -- he must leave one lit as apparently he has a girlfriend.  Goodness.


It's present time!!!  Do you sense my excitement?  Since this is the year of the quilt, I have been excited at each and every birthday.  It has been such a fun year for me.  I am so hoping that he likes this one as I totally changed plans for him once he told me about the colors of his new room.  The smile is a good sign.


Ah yes!


And the obligatory hug -- poor guy.


As Jacob continued to open gifts, the quilt never left his lap.  Yes, my heart felt good.  Mom and Dad got him a new bow but since he had picked it out, opening the gifts didn't seem to have the usual excitement.  Hmmm.

Now what to do, what to do?  We still have time to kill before church and --- oh yeah, Mister and I also brought along Jen's birthday gift so we gather the kids for another round of "Happy Birthday" and then she is presented with her gift as well.  Yes, I am truly taking advantage of this trip.



We have picked out a traveling case for her new sewing machine and some rulers and a small matching bag for scissors, etc.  Jen and I have retreat coming up in a few weeks and she will be able to put this all to good use right away.  Woot, woot.  I am truly looking forward to my time with her and love that we get to do things like this together every now and then.

Now, we definitely need to get ready for church so the big push is on.  Not only is Jacob being ordained today, but it is the Primary Presentation and both Jared and Josh have parts in it.  Oh my goodness, this is truly a perfect trip as we are getting to be a part of so many wonderful things.  Jacob soon comes out and asks for help with his tie and it is Grandpa to the rescue --- I think.  After fooling around, it becomes apparent that Grandpa has to pretend that he is putting it on himself.  Fun and giggles. (Terrible picture by me -- dang window in the background.) And the finished product:


While we are waiting for the others to finish dressing, I remember to ask Jacob about the quilt that he made from paper sacks for a school project so he goes and brings it to me.  Oh goodness, from the picture his Mom had sent, I thought it was much smaller.  How cool is this?


Everyone is finally ready to go and we load up two cars and caravan to the church.  After some shuffling around, we find seats and settle for the program.  The Bishop makes some announcements and then calls Jacob up to the podium.  Wait.  Where is Jacob?  Oh -- he has chosen now to use the restroom.  The Bishop continues to talk about him and when he returns, has him walk up, tells everyone who he is, and sends him back to his seat.  A little on the comical side.

Now for the program.  I am impressed that Jared sings each and every song from start to finish.  I am not completely sure that Josh is singing cos he seems to just be watching all of us.


Both boys AND Louis have speaking parts and although I didn't catch Dad, I did manage to sneak a couple more pictures of the boys.


After sacrament, we all go into the Bishop's office for the ordination and I honestly have to smile because at one point Mister is holding a smart phone with the proper wording on it so that Louis can read while he ordains.  He gets the job done, though, and we have a new Deacon in the family.  Congratulations Jacob.


Mister and I need to get on the road back to Dallas as he needs to work a bit this evening and it is a fairly long drive.  Bekah takes advantage of our leaving to skip out on Sunday School and hang with us as we talk to Jen.   Oh, any excuse.  I remember my girls doing the same thing whenever an opportunity presented itself.

As we are walking out to the cars, I remember that I want a 3-generation picture and this seems like a great time to get one.  Mister takes over the camera and soon I have my new picture and yep, I am pleased.  My gorgeous daughter and granddaughter with me.  What fun.


It is definitely time to go and we are soon on our way home.  By the time we reach Weatherford, we are starving and stop for some Mexican food and a bit of unwinding, then make the final leg home.  It was a great day and I cannot say this enough --- I so love these opportunities to be a part of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment