Friday, June 13, 2014

Texas Grandsons - Days 5&6 (Bekah Birthday Too)

12th -  We have 3 boys today and since it is Josh's last day, we are off to the Children's Garden at the Dallas Arboretum.  I tell the older boys that they will enjoy it as well but receive looks of doubt in return.  We shall see.

Our first stop is the treehouse in which Josh heads out onto the netting almost immediately.  When we drop back down to the ground, Mister finds a station all about animal furs and is soon joined by others eager to learn.  We decide to follow the lower path and visit the science and building area next passing gorgeous flowers along the way.  It IS a garden, after all.


The kaleidoscope and tornado tunnel are huge hits.  I have to admit that I love them as well.  Anything hands on appeals to me.

In the same area is a small container of water and if you rub the sides just so, the water will dance.  Jon is able to make it move a little but Braden really gets it going.  I don't recall seeing this station before and I love it.


From there, we come to the building area and Josh takes the topiary and shrub blocks to task, letting his own creativity shine while Jon makes short work of a different building material for his own design.  I knew he would enjoy it here.  I think it is time to wander down to the Discovery Center for a little indoor break.

When we enter, the large globe at the back is a replica of the Deathstar from Star Wars, but soon reverts back to our planet so Mister and Josh sit down and let the worker take them on an educational trip.


Jon and I find a pretty cool game in the meantime and I may have to come back and tackle this one myself another time.


It's time to head down to the water/electricity area and have a little fun.  Yep -- time in the wind machines is always good for a laugh.

I love this area of the park as it is really hands on and fun to watch the learning take place.  I know I have been educated here and expect no less for the boys.  We pass an amazing hibiscus along the way.  Very cool and HUGE.





Even Mister has to stop and stare now and then.  I love the mist below him as he stands and studies the pond.


We take the time to stop at another station and learn about the tiny life in the pond water and the boys are able to see a transformation take place in one of the life forms.  Pretty cool.


It is time to depart and we make one last stop to build a river and learn about erosion.  There are three tanks and we have three dam builders so each one gives it a try to see if they can stop the water and whether their sand/tree barricades will erode from the pressure.  I find it all very interesting although a bit sandy and messy.  Typical grandmother.

Well, we better get going.  I have a lot to do today still.  I drop the boys off at the house and make a run to pick up a birthday cake for Bekah at DQ.  Then it is home to prepare meatballs for our spaghetti dinner.  The house will be VERY full tonight as Jen, Bekah, and Jacob will be joining us for the evening.  I can't believe my granddaughter is turning 15.  Goodness but that makes me feel old.


As Jon and I make a last minute run down to the grocery store, Jen's van pulls up and by the time we are back home again, Bekah has already claimed the love seat and fallen asleep.  She must have had a hard couple of days at soccer tryouts.  Jacob is back from a baseball camp at which he got an ear infection so both of them are being a bit quiet.

That all changes though when dinner is ready and it is time to feel this hungry mob.  Let's go.  After dinner, it is time for cake.  Yay!  I LOVE DQ cakes as much as the kids do and Bekah has selected a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard cake.  Oh yes!


I do hope she gets over this aversion to having her picture taken at some point.  Ugh.

The thing is that I am going to use the pictures no matter what.  Wouldn't you rather see a good picture of yourself online than one in which you are trying to look silly?  It's gonna be there either way.  Grandmother logic at work again.


She can eat it all!  Well at least that is the claim.  It doesn't happen though as she gives up pretty close to the end.

Oh happy day!  It is time to give my gift and I am so very excited to do so.  I love this quilt and think it turned out so very good.  I really want her to love it as well and the smiles on her face make that a reality.  Woot.




Happy Birthday Bekah!  I am so proud of you.


13th - Jen loads her car with everyone except Jon and points herself back down the interstate to Temple.  We are keeping Jon for -- well we don't know how long and are looking forward to it.  Now that he is all alone, his first request is to make a quilt.  Yes, my grandson is the one who really loves to sew and I am happy to oblige.  We pull out a variety of fabrics and I cut strips while he decides which order to put them in.  We think we are going to make a Scrappy Bargello quilt.

Once the strips are cut it is time to take a break and we go back into the house.  I have a quilt group meeting tonight and Mister is getting my machine ready to go.  Jon gets a lesson in the workings of the machine as well as how to maintain them.

I am off to the meeting and the two boys settle in for some Doctor Who.  I don't even know what that show is about but apparently it has been on forever.  I must live in some different bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment