Friday, September 20, 2013

Back in Wyoming - Fun With Grands - Day 3

It is a beautiful morning in Wyoming and we are in kid mode this morning.  All the chores have been met including showering all the stinky boys.  The naked dance has been done and we even have some time left over to dance fully dressed.  I love this Wii game -- it makes me wish I owned one.

(Yep Amanda -- this is the "pants" day I told you about.)



Raef and Ryan are off to school and we have another morning to explore Cheyenne with Caleb in tow.  Where should we go?  How about the Capitol Building?

When we arrive, the Alzheimer's Association has a display out front and the first thing Caleb spots is a bench to climb on and then he checks out the flowers before we enter the building.  Stairs!



"Follow me guys."  With grandparents in tow, Caleb leads the way to explore the second floor first.  His little voice echoes all through the building even though he is speaking softly.  We can look right into the Governor's office from the balcony and a nearby bison grabs the attention of our little charge.  He also has quite a time with the bust of Abraham Lincoln.  He just keeps pointing and saying, "big head" over and over.  It makes both of us giggle quite a bit.


What a view from the 3rd floor.  Love it!


I love the way Caleb always knows what is beyond his capability.  Every single set of stairs was walked down until this set.  It is really steep coming back down and he sits down and scoots on his bum the whole way.  Trouble is, then he thought he needed to do that for the last stairway as well.




Several workers came out during our visit to tell us how sweet Caleb's little voice was as it echoed through the halls.  They said it brightened their day.  Even the guest desk attendant had to stop and talk with him.  He was definitely a big hit.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the building and loved the Senate and House chambers.  What I REALLY loved was being able to go and see it all without security and background checks.  Sooooo nice.




Just around the corner from the Capitol is the Wyoming State Museum.  All three of us walk over and are delighted upon arrival.  It only takes Caleb seconds, literally, to find a display that he can enjoy.
They also have a hands on area for children to work puzzles, touch furs, and dress like a pioneer.  What a wonderful place -- and everything is free.


After the museum, we make a very quick stop at St. Mary's Cathedral because if there is a beautiful church and I didn't stop, I would be unhappy.  It does not let us down.  It has beautiful stained glass windows, and incredible arched ceiling, and a magnificent pipe organ.  Wow.  So glad we stopped.



Sadly, our little one is getting hungry (even with his occasional snacks to tide him over) and tired.  It is time to return back to the base for lunch and a nap.

The boys return from school on time today with an extra hoodie in Raef's possession.  Yay!  We settle in on the porch for a fun little visit and shadow play.  I teach them both how to make a bat and yes siree, I am a cool Gammy.  They are thrilled.  The sun is cooperating with us and everything we do is amplified.  Awesome.




Both boys work hard to see what other animals or items they can create and I know this will be one of the first things they show mom when she returns.  I gotta say -- this was pretty fun.

Alas, I have to stop playing and make dinner as tonight is pajama movie night and we are going to see Planes.  Caleb will be ecstatic.

After dinner, everyone (yep, even Grandpa) puts their jammies on and we head over to the base theater.  There is a small line, but within moments we have our popcorn and soda and after much row changing are actually in our seats.  Whew.  I want to take a picture of everyone all ready and excited so I take my  phone out (yes, two other cameras on trip but not at the movies) only to discover that it is broken.  Ugh.  I know this is going to be awful, but I try and put it out of my mine and enjoy the movie.  Movie starts, previews, and soon  PLANES!  Caleb's face is lit up like you cannot believe and I don't have a camera.  Double Ugh.

We get about a minute into the show and it stops -- an announcement is made that there is still a long line outside and so they are going to pause the movie to let the others have a chance to see it.  Wonderful.  I already have a 2 year old that is getting close to bedtime and becoming demanding.  Now i have to contain him in the seats.  Yay.  It is half an hour later by the time it starts and this time is not nearly as exciting.  Drat.  Everyone settles in to watch though and I have to laugh as about 10 minutes in Caleb says to me, " this is just a plane ka-chow."  Even at 2 years he knew what was going to happen.

We have a brief scare after the movie as Ryan goes into panic mode cos he has forgotten his skateboard jacket.  I don't remember seeing it on him, but he is adamant so him and I go back into the theater to look for it.  Nope --- now he is really upset cos someone took his jacket.  Goodness, the highs and lows on this trip.  We get home and he opens his backpack to give me his schoolwork and guess what?  Yep, skateboard jacket.  The relief from him is intense.

Time for bed.  Yep, it is a Friday night, but we have early soccer games and I am beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment