Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Utah - Day 1 - Travel and Butterflies

My new granddaughter was born in November and I am FINALLY able to go and meet her AND be able to spend some time with my daughter and three more wonderful grands.  I've worked hard all month so that I can deliver some gifts at the same time, leaving me with a satisfied feeling as well.  Today is fly day and I am greeted with rain.  Mister dropped me at the airport a bit early, but all is good and soon I am on my way.  As we near Utah, it looks dang cold out there.  I hope I brought warm enough clothing.



Once my luggage is retrieved, I am picked up by a car load of happy smiles.  Ophelia, Ava, John Paul, and Mairead are all there along with my daughter, Cassie.  It's been so long since I've seen them and my heart is crazy happy.  I've been warned by another daughter that John Paul likely won't have anything to do with me so I'm prepared, but he flirts so much that I think there is hope.



My first eyes on Mairead.  Hey there little one.


Cassie has some errands to run so a stop at REI (only she goes in) and then to IKEA - where we all go through the store quickly and pick up some items on her list.  Next up is the Butterfly Biosphere at Thanksgiving Point.  On the way and entire field of Canadian geese are hanging out.


Into the building we go and the first part consists of interactive exhibits.  It's wonderful, truly, and they all line up to work the ants at a picnic.  You move your feet and hands to have the ant steal something from the picnic and drag it to their hole.


While bathroom breaks take place, I wander the bug exhibits and these beetles are kinda cool.  Yes, I typically dislike the bug exhibits, but these are just so colorful.


Grabbing when I can.


This exhibit allows them to use an Accuquilt type (I choose that term because it is the one I'm most familiar with) to cut out a butterfly ring.


While Ava plays in the chrysalis, O makes her a ring too.



Into the butterfly house itself.  We are allowed to hold them - properly - here so my hopes are up.


The kids have all been given magnifying glasses to use and are already hard at work.  Well, JP's just tastes good, I think.


Trays of fruit nestle among the greens everywhere you look.


Cassie is able to coach one onto her finger and the kids gather round.





O tried to get it to climb onto her, but no go.




There is variety all around - here are a couple more.



On the hunt -


Oooh, one hiding behind this planter, on the ground.  Perfect time to examine.


The pond.  JP was fascinated with the bridge.  Hahaha




Moving on.  Education at work.  I'm so impressed when O uses "chrysalis" instead of coocoon.  Do YOU know the difference?




Cassie spots another that is close enough and settled in enough to attempt a hold.  I slide my fingers down and TA-DA --- success.  Their legs tickle, almost to the point of itching.


She has another one for an up close look.  It's really pretty but I couldn't move around to the side fast enough and it was gone.


Into the play area for a bit.


John Paul's off on his own --- so fun.


Let's go again.  I'll help you.  So, so cute the way they play together.  Even a trip down the small slide is done in tandem.


I am finally able to get my hands on this newest treasure. 


Goodness.  The day is going.  Out the window I can see a beautiful sunset and realize I've been on the go for awhile now.


A stop for dinner and pizza is the choice before we actually arrive back to the house.  Kids fell asleep all through the car and each one has just been carried in, quietly put in jammies, and placed in bed.  We have a few minutes to visit and I'm ready to crash as well.

Just before going down to my room for the night, I notice that someone else has crashed as well.  It's been a very busy day.  See y'all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment