Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Mom's 80th Birthday Trip - Days 1-3

If you have been following this blog, you know that was at the airport saying good-bye to grands yesterday.  Well, I'm on the way back there today.  It's the start of my trip to Montana to spend time with my mother and sister along with celebrating my mother's 80th birthday.  Mister has to work today so I'm taking DART and standing here waiting.  My carry-on contains my mystery quilt so that I can finish the binding while up there -- in addition to about another 10 pounds.  It is HEAVY but necessary.  So many upcoming deadlines.    My flight is on time which is amazing as Dallas was hit with tornadoes last night and one would think that everything would be halted.  I am flying out of DFW instead of Love Field, which is the only reason all is going well.  It's so sad as many of our beloved places are totally wiped out.  I settle in and am soon saying farewell to Texas for a bit.  My flight is a bit odd --- the first stop is in El Paso.  That's a new one for me.  It's not a very long stay, but enough to switch to Alaska Airlines (from American) and find a set of ear buds that I have buried in my suitcase.  Movie time ahead.




Ta-ta El Paso.  I was here once before and if you want more pictures of it, here is a LINK to the post in 2016.


From El Paso to Seattle and another layover.  It's late by the time I leave (slight delay), but I get one quick picture then settle in for a movie.  Arriving in Kalispell after 1 a.m., I gather my belongings and start the hunt for my mother's car, which is parked and waiting for me.  One would think that I could remember what it is, but no.  I know the approximate area it is parked and start walking the lot looking at license plates until I run into it.  Yay!  Keys are located and I'm soon on my way.  A very quiet entrance into the house at 2 a.m. puts me into my room and crashing for some sleep.

22nd - Good Morning!  Amazingly, I only sleep until around 9 and then am able to say hello to Mom.  Settling in to visit, I have my quilt to bind and start in.

My sister has some time today to run into town and start the party shopping so away we go.  The first stop is at K-Mart (which is going out of business) and we find a couple of small decorations.  Mom wants a new microwave, so we search and locate one that meets her criteria.  It's not in a box, which sends me looking for help.  No, they don't have a box.  It doesn't have a plate inside.  I am looked at as though it's a strange request so I start looking in similar floor models and find one that fits.  Now, all I'm missing is the box and manual.  I can do without both (I can get the manual online) so I ask for a price on the floor model.  It's the same as what is marked.  WHAT????  Explaining that it's missing the box and manual AND has been opened and closed a bazillion times by customers, it deserves a price reduction.  The answer is still no.  The microwave does not get purchased and we move on to looking at lamps (the second item on her list).  Finding a couple and making dang sure on the price, we head to the checkout.  The lamps ring up a different price and as we explain that the shelf indicates otherwise and matches the tag, we are told, "I can't control where other people place things."  WHAT???  There were at least 12 lamps on that shelf and we checked the tags.  No movement on their part.  The lamps don't go home with us either.  No wonder this place is going out of business.

I'm a bit hangry so the decision is made to get lunch and there is a Burger King right in the K-Mart parking lot.  I order a burger with mustard only - no mayo, no ketchup.  It's not what I get.  Of course not.  Back up I go for another burger.  This day is not boding well.

After lunch, Wal-Mart is up for some staples.  By the time we make it to the checkout, we have two carts and one is VERY heavy with liquids.


A final stop at Costco nets us another basket full and we are set for today.  The rest will be bought in Bigfork later in the week as we don't want stuff to spoil.  As we drive back, I love the view out the window --- fall is arriving and the colors are pretty as the tamarack pines go golden.


In fact, fall is not the only season around.  Check out the mountains.  Winter is right around the corner.


Crossing the Flathead River.


Once we are back and all of our purchases have either been dropped at the condo clubhouse, Sis' (the things she's making) or Mom's (the items I'm working on).  I settle back in to finish the binding on my quilt and am successful.  Bailey even approves.


23rd - My day is spent with Mom -- visiting all day.  It's wonderful and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.  My project for the day is to write the final clue for my mystery and that means somehow coming up with a diagram.  After spending a couple of hours trying to make one on the computer, I just take a picture of my hand drawing and it's gonna just have to work.  With the clue written and set to publish, I move onto my second task -- booking the 2021 cruise.  Another check mark for me.  The only other thing on the agenda for today is picking up my sweetheart at 1 in the morning.  Yep -- that airport run is happening.  Yay.

It's a successful retrieve and he actually arrives a bit early.  We are back at Mom's by 1:30 and sleep soon after.  Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment