Thursday, April 17, 2014

Morning View of White Rock Lake

It's another beautiful spring day here in Dallas and therefore time to put on our walking shoes again.  The lake beckons.  I am so thankful that it is mere minutes from walking out the door of our house to stepping onto the path at the lake.  It's times like this that I still feel as though I am back in Bigfork, Montana and I truly do realize what a blessing it is.

As we step out of the car, a mallard hen is there to welcome us to the lake.  She is not the least bit worried about our presence there and merely moves slightly to the side to let us pass.  Perhaps there is a nest close by.


White Rock Lake has many paths in it's eight mile circumference and each time we visit, we try and walk a different area.  The trip we are just about in the center of the west side.  Let's see what we can spot today.  As we cross a bridge, there is a small grassy area to our left and we spot a lone unique bird.  He does not want his picture taken.  We try many times and this is the best one we could get -- yeah, I know -- not saying much.  He had a black body and a brilliant orange head.  We are not able to determine what species it belongs to and after researching Texas birds -- well, it is not listed there either.  Hmmm.  Perhaps he is a wanderer.

The path winds near the road at one point and I spot a killdeer couple mixed in with other birds along the roadside.  We stop and watch for a few seconds and the --- yay!  We spot three baby killdeer nearby.  As I try and get a picture, the male attempts to lead me away with the old "wounded bird" routine.  


The bluebonnets across the road are calling to me and Mister sends me on my way to soak up their beauty for a short time.  I do so love these wildflowers.


All along the walk today we have also spotted several American Coot and I remark that I am not familiar with that particular breed.  Just before returning to the car, I snap a picture of a couple of them in the water.


We are at the last corner before the car now, and I look across the lake.  A beautiful sailboat is enjoying the quiet morning as it passes in front of the bath house.  Nice.


Once again, it has been a nice morning.  Time to head home and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment