Saturday, November 14, 2015

Date Day -- Zoo Fun

Mister and I are sneaking away today for a trip down to the zoo.  It seems like it has been ages since we have been here with just the two of us.  I wonder what fun awaits us ---

When we arrive at the entrance, we spot this absolutely wonderful LEGO sculpture of polar bears.  Oh I wish we had bears at our lovely zoo, but isn't this just incredible.  There will be an entire display of LEGO animals starting in January.  Well, that makes it a must to return.



We discover that there are three "preview" statues around the park.  I can't wait to see what else we find.  These bears have 133,263 bricks in them.  Can I have a WOW?


We are off to the Giants of the Savannah and as we emerge from the tunnel, we can see that the penguins are actively swimming.  We at least one is so I scurry over there to check it out.  I am constantly amazed at their ability to just glide through the water almost effortlessly.

Rounding the corner to the entrance to the savannah are the elephant statues that you have all seen my grandchildren sitting on.  Guess who I convince to climb up and have his picture taken?  Yep, my sweet Mister.  Doesn't he look happy?  HAHAHAHA.


A quick stop to feed the giraffes and my soul.  This is ALWAYS a must.  I love these gentle creatures.


We head up into the gorilla trail, always hoping for a unique experience and we are not disappointed.  All of the gorillas are out and several are close enough to watch and enjoy for quite awhile.

The chimpanzees are next and I adore sitting and just immersing myself in them.  Their society is interesting to me and I love the interaction that goes on -- all of which is made even better when a baby is around.

We continue down the trail and are rewarded with our very first sighting of both the Rock Hyrax and the Klipspringer at the same time.  How fun is this?



The Okapi are out up close as well.  This is another gentle eyed animal - related to the giraffe.  How gorgeous they are.


Our walk on this side of the zoo has come to an end so we turn our attention to Zoo North and whatever discoveries we may find there.

 As we go by the tortoise exhibit, they are just being released for the day and being fed.  It is definitely a thundering herd for the food.  NOT.  They are on the move though and we stay quite awhile just enjoying them.

Ah, another LEGO sculpture.  This crane is divine.  Every detail is complete and exquisite.  This one has 43, 678 bricks involved.  Love it.  Check out the eggs and face.



Around the corner is our last "preview" statue.  This snow leopard contains 63,379 bricks and I can't stop staring at it.  Look at how accurate the details are and that face -- oh that face.  Whiskers and all.



It's been a fun morning but time to get moving.  We'll definitely be back to see the entire display after the first of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment