Saturday, December 7, 2019

3rd Annual Ornament & Cookie Exchange

Another year is almost gone and that means my Annual Ornament and Cookie Exchange is coming up quick.  So many decisions to make and lots to prepare.  So . . . . first up, I need to make a prototype of the ornament.

Taking an online tutorial (I'm typing this in November) more than once --- Mister says he could make the dang thing since he's listened to it so many times -- prepares me and I'm soon cutting fabrics for the sample.  Precious moments are spent in front of the computer, listening once again as I go and after a bit -- I have a sample.  I'ts not perfect, but I think I can teach it.  (The online tutorial was free in exchange for an email address so I'm not violating any copyright laws.)




The next task is to kit these up for everyone else.  A trip out back finds all kinds of fun things to add, if they so desire.  Everything is trayed up and ready for the party.



The house is decorated, cookies are made, and I'm setting things up for today.

Cinnamon rolls are baking, all the food has been prepped and it's the calm before the storm, I think.  That means I've forgotten something for sure.  Stephannie will arrive with the recipes for the books and then the panic will surely take place.  Ahh, it looks lovely.  We have fewer numbers this year - which could mean more elbow room.  Always looking for that silver lining.



The cookies table has filled --  doesn't it look yummy?


Brunch is ready --- so much help from others creates this amazing array.


The gangs all here - although apparently not all in this picture.  I need new glasses.


Ornaments ready to exchange.


Now, this is better --- I think everyone is here.  I remember taking this picture.  I was trying to catch Stephannie's hands still and wasn't watching anyone else -- sorry Lydia.

After we have enjoyed some food and great conversation, it's time to get going on these ornaments.  We're already running late and I'm starting to be stressed.  Drat.  Time to teach.


I see confusion.



Okay -- let's get to it.

Jen and Stephanie are seated right next to me and have figured this out quick.  Much quicker than I did, that's for sure.  I'm trying so hard to keep up with them on my "work along" sample.  Then, just like that, they are finished (and I'm not).  Two TA-DA's  Aren't they pretty?  I chose great fabrics (hey, I gotta get some credit here).


Now to take a break and do the ornament exchange.  I've tried a new "Wright Christmas" letter and this one is CRAZY LONG.  Oh my goodness -- when it finally ends, everyone has a new item for their trees.


Cookie exchange time --- fast and furious since it's late and some have to leave.  I REALLY need to manage time better next year.

Stephanie's sweetheart is on hand to take our picture (Mister disappeared long ago).  I'm so thankful to him for being willing to help out.  Even more gratitude and love go to these amazing women for sharing my day and my life.  Back row:  Jen, Gwen, Stephanie, Lydia, and Paula.  Front:  me, Lori, and Stephannie.  I know how much work goes into this and the time required during a busy month for everyone.  I truly do appreciate the effort, my friends (and daughter).


Lydia decorated her binder and won a body pillow for her efforts!!

The event ends with cookie sampling.  Ooh, there are several that I will likely hide from my hubby.  So, so good.  I've had a great time once again and am already well underway with plans for next year.  The event page will be up this week.  Love y'all and Merry Christmas.   (Below this are recipes)



Bacon and Egg Casserole

4 bacon strips
18 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 sliced green onions
1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towel to drain.  In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Add milk, cheese, sour cream, onions, salt and pepper.  Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.  Crumble bacon and sprinkle on top.  Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes (it took about an hour).  Let stand for 5 minutes.

Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls  

I have a blog post all about these -- here is the link:  https://ladymister.blogspot.com/2014/11/baking-day-best-cinnamon-rolls-ever.html


Ornament gap measurements:

3/8"
7/8"
1" (first four)
1 1/8" (second four)
1/4" (from 3rd row)

No comments:

Post a Comment