Saturday, December 31, 2016

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve is upon and since Mister and I rarely spend New Years Eve preparing or participating in the whole "party" scene, it's a great day to do other activities as the crowds are just not there.   We are just going to have a fun day together on the last day of 2016.  Am I sad or glad to see it go?  Well, in all honestly, I'm kinda glad.  This year has definitely had it's rough spots and I'm looking forward to some new experiences next year.  Fingers are crossed anyway.

The Dallas Museum of Art opens at 11 a.m. and since that's our first destination, I guess I should get dressed and ready to go.

The reason for the trip is that there are two exhibits we have not yet been able to immerse ourselves in and don't want to miss.  The first is "Divine Felines:  Cats of Ancient Egypt" and the second is "Art and Nature in the Middle Ages."  Both are absolutely wonderful and as we slowly work our way through them, we discover numerous items to peak our curiosity and gets me questioning.  Yep, that's me -- always wondering.

We also check out a wonderful batik exhibit (that's an entry all by itself so click HERE) and then are surprised with "Shaken, Stirred, Styled:  The Art of the Cocktail."  As we enter, Mister spots one of the collections and points them out.  What fun.  We own that set too.



I've been looking for a good cocktail "recipe" book and there are a couple here that interest me.  Now I just gotta find out if they are still in print.  First is "How to Mix Drinks: or, The Bon-Vivant's Companion, 1862.  The second is "The Savoy Cocktail Book, 1930" and likely my better chance.


On our way out, we always stop in the shop and this is the first time my sweetie has seen it since they remodeled.  Yep, it's been awhile since he's been down here.  As we walk into the shop, there are mobiles everywhere and I hear him comment, "My whole like I've wanted to make a mobile."  What??  He never makes statements like that and I am shocked.  We'll have to do something about that this year.

He just stands and stares at them for awhile.  Kind of like a little boy who really wants the toy in the window.

The next stop is at Jimmy's Food Store for lunch and the wine sale.  Of course that also means picking up wonderful grocery delights.  The place is PACKED and as I order our sandwiches and get some sausage and meatballs, Mister wanders the wine and food aisles.  We decide to eat here so after grabbing one of the bags we brought in with us, I put the sausage and meatballs in it and am off to the freezer to hide it behind the ice cream until we are finished eating.  Yep, creative aren't I?  Lunch is divine and we just absorb the Italian atmosphere of eating in truly wonderful little place.  Love, love, love it here.

Our evening is spent quietly at home and I make us a cheese board and open a bottle of wine.  What could be better?  Be safe all ya partiers.  I don't want to lose any friends or family tonight.  Happy New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment