Sunday, December 25, 2016

Channeling my Cousin Cheri - Lefse Making

It's 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve and I have suddenly decided to make Lefse.  Now, keep in mind, I have not done this in YEARS.  Perhaps 30 or so as my daughter, Jen, remembers doing it with me once when she was young.  I was taught how to make it when still living in Bigfork and my cousin Cheri was visiting in Polson.  We spent one entire day making them and while I still remember the mechanics of it -- it has indeed been a while.  My children grew up eating lefse on Christmas Eve, but it was rarely made by me.  Up north you can buy it in the grocery store during the holidays.  I have yet to see it here in Texas.  That means, I need to get back to the basics and thought perhaps you'd like to take this journey with me today.

The first thing I do is make sure I have enough potatoes on hand.  I like Yukon Golds and therefore that is what I have, but they are not the starchiest potato and I remember that the starchier the better for lefse.  Oh well, these will work - they just may require a bit more flour along the way.  I'm never real big on measuring when cooking but ALWAYS when baking or working with a dough.  It's a bit of my own OCD.  I want 1 pound and, well, that's pretty dang close.  We are good to go.



Now, my potatoes are smaller, so they just get cut into fourths.  You don't want the chunks too small or they will break apart in the cooking and take on too much water.  Water is not our friend here.


Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.


Cook gently (not a full rolling boil - once again because we don't want the potatoes to break apart) for 10-12 minutes from the time the boil began.  Test to see if they are done and then drain the water.  While HOT, they need to be mashed.  This can be done so many ways and some swear by a potato ricer.  I don't own one, so it's just a hand masher for me.  Just make sure you don't have any lumps.

Now, you need 1/4 unsalted butter, softened and cut into chunks, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Add these to the potatoes and mash again.  Work all the ingredients in well.


Transfer the potatoes to a storage container and refrigerate overnight.  See ya tomorrow.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!  I hop out of bed and basically ignore tea, presents, the entire Christmas morning scene.  I WANT to make these lefse first thing.  It's 8:00 a.m. and we have to leave for Abilene in a few hours.  I would dearly love to take some of these with us.  That means I need to get busy.

After removing the potatoes from the refrigerator, I transfer them back to a mixing bowl and add a cup of flour.

Mixing that in by hand, it starts out pretty crumbly but the more you work it, soon you have a dough that sticks together.


At that point, turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  I use a pastry mat by pampered chef for several reasons.  One is easy clean up but the biggest one is all the guide lines on it.  Knead for several minutes until your dough is soft and smooth.  Then roll it into a 16" log.  Cut it into 16 equal sections.

I started out by taking one of the sections and just flattening it a bit before placing it in the center of the mat so that I could use the circular guidelines to help.


Now, roll it out gently, keeping the surface floured and flipping the dough occasionally to deter any sticking.  It has to roll dang thin -- as if you could see newsprint through it.  As you can see, I had trouble getting a really nice circle so I switched the beginning steps.

After taking a piece of dough, I flatten it with my hand and flour both sides.  Then using my fingers and hands, I continue pushing out from the center until I have a 6" circle.


Ideally, I want an 8" circle so at this point I bring the rolling pin back into play (after flipping the dough over again) and gently roll out until the 8" circle line is achieved.  By doing it this way, my end result is more circular and therefore, more visually appealing.  Do whatever method works best for you, just keep it from sticking.  I've even heard some people use a cloth/floured covered board.


Using the rolling pin, transfer the dough to a preheated griddle.  It should be hot enough that if you place a droplet of water on it, you get an instant sizzle.  Cook on one side for 1-2 minutes depending on how thick you managed to get it rolled out.  Flip and you should have these wonderful little brown spots.


As one is cooking, roll out the next one.  There is plenty of time.  When the second side is finished, transfer to a plate and cover with a towel to keep moist.  As you complete your lefses, just keep stacking one on top of another and cover with the towel.

 It takes me just a few minutes over an hour to complete all 16.  In the interest of full disclosure, Mister takes over the cooking part, but that is mostly because my flour-covered hands kept touching things.  Ah, that's not fair.  I think the major reason is because it's Christmas and a fun way to be together.  Look at this lovely stack.


Now, lefse is basically a potato flatbread.  Yep, that simple.  You can do many things with it at this stage, but the traditional method of enjoying it is as follows.  Spread a wonderful butter (we love Kerrygold Irish) and the sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the top.


Now, roll it into a fairly tight log. The cut into three sections.  Yes, you can do two - three just nets you more to share.  Eat and enjoy.

Ah yes, my childhood revisited.  AND another lesson learned.  I let this intimidate me for too long and it won't be another 30 years or so.  HAHAHAHA says the almost 60 year old.  I think it will become a tradition now, one I can perhaps pass onto my children and at least one of them will embrace enough to keep the memories alive.  Thanks for taking this journey with me today.  Have a great day and embrace your loved ones.  Us? Well first it's hot lefse and tea, then gifts, and finally the road trip to Abilene to see family.  Isn't this what the holiday is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment