Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Magnolias and Roses

I honestly think my favorite way to start the day is at the Arboretum.  Arriving before opening after a stop at White Rock Coffee, our first destination is the Magnolia Glade as I am hoping that it has started to bloom.  I love this area.  It has only white flowers with all the greenery and feels peaceful to me.  A bench beckons and as we sit to enjoy our drinks Mister produces some of his biscotti brought along to make this just a little more wonderful.

The sun is peeking in and out of the clouds as we sit.  I grab the camera and try to catch our surroundings in the sunlight.  I am mostly unsuccessful, but this one shot seems nice.

I have small magnolia trees around me which are just starting to bloom.  In a week or so this area will be absolutely full of gorgeous white flowers as the trees are loaded with buds in various stages of development.  The fact that this large white flower sits in the trees is just beautiful to me.  It was one of the first things I noticed when I arrived in Texas and I look forward to it each year.  The only sad part is that these trees bloom at the same time that they are losing their leaves, thus at times the flowers are surrounded by yellow and brown.  I can live with it though -- and apparently so can the tree.



Our time in the glade comes to an end as we need to get moving or we will not get our walk in before the crowds arrive.  As we take the back exit from this garden, we come across one of the rose plantings and stop to bask in the colors and fragrances.  Continuing down the path, we catch glimpses of the glade off to our right.  The views are so wonderful that I stop often to simply feed my eyes.


The path leads us toward the Rose Garden which is my second destination for the day.  I love climbing roses and am eager to see how they are doing.  I am not disappointed.  It is exquisite and I just move slowly through while enjoying each color and aroma.  Ah - truly this is natures beauty at it's finest.

Mister is watching me as usual --- what do you suppose I see?


Ah yes - how I love the ironwork.  


Our time is quickly passing and it is time to leave this area as well.  As we enter the main walkway I spot a planting that I absolute love.  Grasses mixed in with flowers really appeal to me.  I wish I had the talent to put this together at my own home.


The entrance to the crepe myrtles also contains great color and variety.


Pink geraniums and dusty miller ---- what a lovely combination.


We are at the main lawn now and stop in for a peek at the peacocks.  It appears that they are in bloom again and Mister takes off with camera in hand.

I wish -- oh I wish I knew as much about photography as he does.  If you go through the above pictures, you will always be able to pick out the ones he takes and the ones I do.  I have oh so much to learn still.

The main lawn is starting to fill in with people so that is our cue to continue on.  Oh -- you are wondering what Mister's view was like?  Here ya go.


We finish our walk down in the shady area before returning to the entrance/exit.  This has been a great morning and I hope to be back again soon.  Thanks for walking with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment