Saturday, February 17, 2018

Red Hat Day - Miss Etta and Arlene's Birthday Month

I have been talking all week with my sweetheart about having a Dallas Re-Gals Red Hat event on Saturday.  ALL WEEK.  I have verified the time.  I have checked the location.  I have decided what to wear.  I am ready.  The day has arrived and I remind Mister that I have a lunch at noon.  I'm working on the quilt blog and developing pictures at 11:00 when he asks again what time I have to be there.  I say noon and then that little niggling at the back of your mind takes over.  Is it noon?  One more check --- oh dang -- it's at 11:30.  Within mere moments, we are out the door.  The event is in Plano at our friend Kelly's establishment, The Fillmore Pub.  We KNOW the way.  What we didn't know was that they closed our exit and by the time we backtrack and take another route, I am late.  The place is packed!!  Literally.  I think every Red Hatter in the group is attending today.  That is absolutely wonderful and I find a place to sit.  It's at this point that I realize my name tag and kazoo are still at home.  Ugh.  The best laid plans.  I need to find that missing Hattitude.




It takes me a few minutes to regroup and finally my camera comes out to play.  There are a LOT of red hats in the room.  So many, in fact, that I can't get them all in one picture.  We occupy several tables and about half the eating area in the pub.  I'm also going to apologize in advance for the pictures.  The lighting was TERRIBLE and my minimal experience with development has left my pictures wanting.




It is Arlene's and Miss Etta's birthday month and they are in opposite colors for the occasion.  Additionally, Miss Etta is in charge of this event.  I don't own a single item of red clothing.  Oh my, I guess May needs to slow down -- nor do I have a purple hat.  I feel like I did last year in May with a red hat and purple clothing.  Shopping time.


Ugh - if I change the exposure, the windows take over -- this is dark.  Drat.  I'll just try and avoid the windows from here on out.


It's better, but not great.


Billie takes her "oath" to join the Re-Gals this month.  Welcome Billie --- you are a great addition.



Cynthia was kind enough to send a picture that she took of the ladies at our table.  I've decided that no matter how warm and comfy that top it -- I look like a moose in it.  No more "out of the house" for that one.


Miss Etta arrives at our table bearing a gift for Fayrene ---

It is a lovely necklace and such a kind gesture.  Across the table from me, Janie has a high heel pin that she received from Miss Etta previously and I love it.  What a kind, kind woman she is.  She stops to talk with me and shares a couple fun moments that I will hold dear.




As Frankie walks by, I notice the back of her vest.  Oooooh  Must go get a picture and think hard on how to have something that fun.  She explains that the back of the vest was inspired by the purse she is holding.  Hmmmmm.


There is a pillowcase for Miss Etta that everyone is to sign and I think I'm the last to do so.  As I take it over to the main table to quietly hand it to Queen Cynthia, Miss Etta says, "That is for me."  Here I thought it was a secret, but no -- she planned it.  Well, alrighty then.  I guess I'm in the perfect place for a photograph.  Or two or three.  Take the open eyes from #2 and add them to the smile of #3 -- there we go.



We have also EACH received a gift from Miss Etta.  I thought it was HER birthday.  It is my first red hat item and I love it.  Guess what went inside immediately?  Hershey kisses from the table, of course.


This wonderful gentleman came by our table and asked about the Red Hat Ladies.  His mother had been one and had past on but today was her birthday.  He wanted to know if he could take a few pictures to send to his siblings.  Of course and since it is birthday month -- Arlene and Miss Etta are the lucky two.  How wonderful for him.  He was truly touched and so was I.  What a great thing that it must have brought his mother so much joy and thus translated to the same for him.  Awesome.

The food's been good and I had the chance to get to know Fayrene and Pat, which was nice.  Talking with Janie is always fun and the time has passed quickly.

It's time to return back to our lives and yet we still need a group picture.  With the lighting and the space in here, plans are made to go outside for it.  I think it's a great idea and soon everyone is assembled on the steps of the plaza.  Perfect.

Until next time, drive safe ladies.  I'll see you in April as I'll be at retreat next month.

2 comments:

  1. I saw an adorable Red Hat quilt pattern in one of my magazines which made me think of you. Would you like for me to send the directions to you? It has several different paper pieced hats across the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely. It is available for purchase or a free pattern? If for purchase, I will do so if you give me the name. If an online free pattern, I would love it for sure. Always trying to give the designers their due.

      Delete