Sunday, November 19, 2017

Pioneer Days on the Way Home from Retreat

The retreat center is closed up and everyone has started their journey home leaving Mister and I at the house all by ourselves.  My car is loaded and ready for our own trip back to Dallas so with a quick farewell to the place until February, we point our car north homeward as well.  On the way down, my sweetheart had spotted a "fair" type event going on and we are in luck as it is still well underway.  It is Wardville Pioneer Days at the Chisholm Trail Museum and, after parking, the first building we come to is the old county courthouse.

Inside are volunteers who tell the story of the building and how many parts are original and this great man also knows a ton of history about the area.  We stay and listen for quite awhile,learning everything we possibly can. 




As we exit the building, outside is the Johnson Country Sheriff paddy-wagon and I really have to smile at it.









Just to our right is a large open area replete with tents, and other memorabilia relating to the troops at that time.  Cannons!!!


Wandering through the camp is entertaining and I am impressed with how serious they all take these reenactments.



There are even peanuts roasting over the fire.  Wonderful!  Mister stops to learn a bit about the guns being used.




With the discovery that a cannon firing is about to take place, we find a good location to watch.  Like I said, they take this pretty seriously.


Once the cannons have finished, we are off to see what else is around.  Just down the road are a couple of booths, one of which is replete with quilts, sock monkeys, and home canned goods.



The blacksmith is actually working and presenting to a crowd as we peek around the corner.


The gravestones are definitely thought-provoking.


And these two - William and Permelia O'Neal - incredibly old.


In the Wren House, these ladies are spinning colored wool and I am enthralled with the process.  Hmmm -- between Mister wanting to weave and me wanting to spin, I wonder what we can come up with.

Isn't this just a lovely color of green?  I like it so much.  They are also having lunch of baked beans and cornbread.  Very typical of the history being presented.

A peek in the house shows us an even larger spinning wheel.


Well that's about it.  We've wandered most of the grounds and will leave the museum itself for another day.  I'm pretty tired and ready to go home and rest a bit.  This wonderful Tatanka carving bids us farewell.

The very last thing I notice as I'm walking away are the curbs.  Each one is engraved with Chisholm Trail.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment