Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Family Time

I LOVE Thanksgiving.  Perhaps it is because I love the fall so much.  Perhaps it is because it is a holiday devoted to being thankful and not expecting anything except some yummy food.  There is no pressure of gifts or costumes or bonkers decorating.  It's just people getting together and sharing the love.  I have always wanted to be surrounded by family on this day and this year my house will be filled with the sounds of laughter and love.  Yep - I'm a content girl.

Mister is on his way to get his mother while I finish up some preparations.  I made the rolls last night but was disappointed in the way they turned out so I am quickly getting another dough going.  Now, it's time for company.  When Mom arrives, we set up a table for her to work at in the kitchen and promptly put her to work.  She is in charge of the relish tray and preparing the giblets for the gravy.  Less things for Mister and I to worry about.

My dough is ready to be punched down and shaped into rolls.  It feels good so hopefully it will turn out better today.




Jen and her family arrive after noon and the house is buzzing.  It's time to finish up this meal and get people fed.  Jen grabs the potatoes to mash while Mister and I start filling up the buffet.  Our table is just not big enough for all the people AND all the food.  Some makes it there, but the remainder goes here.


Mister, Jen, and I are helping the kids get their food before settling down to a lovely meal.  Everything is absolutely delicious if I do say so myself -- and I do.
The dishes are done and we have had a great visit with Mom but she is tired and ready to go.  As Mister takes her home, We all find things to do and then when he returns, everyone settle in for a round or two of The Name Game.  Laughter ensues immediately when 3 slips of paper have the name BOB on them.  What??


(Yep, sharing a chair with Jon -- at least my butt hasn't gotten so big that this isn't possible anymore.  And, yes, he has grown.  He towers over me now.  Oh my.)  During this game I cannot help but laugh time and time again when either Jon or Jacob speak.  Their voices have absolutely changed this fall and I have to take a second glance to make sure who is talking.


Some Grandpa and Jared time.  It looks serious but I can tell that Jared is smiling.


Bekah is right in this conversation --- not.  And WHY is there a water jug on my table?  Hmmm.


It has been a great day.  I loved every moment of it and am so glad I am lucky enough to have a full house for the whole weekend.  THIS is what Thanksgiving is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment