Friday, March 8, 2013

We Are NOT Old! A Day at Six Flags Proves It

Opening day at Six Flags and Mister wanted to go.  Tickets were only $18.00 a person and so we bought a couple and then found out that it would cost us nearly that much to park --- What??  Ah heck, we wanted to do it and so bought the dang parking pass as well.  I think the last time I was on a roller coaster was in San Antonio at Sea World with Jen and family.  We had talked about going to Six Flags here in Dallas on several occasions but had not followed through.  This time we were doing it.  Yep -- no backing out.  The weather was a very crisp 45 degrees.  Shouldn't be very long lines at that temp was our thought process.  Let's go find out.

We arrived before the gates opened, parked and were all bundled up waiting along with several hundred other crazy people.  First stop --- The Texas Giant.  One very famous roller coaster.  Woohoo.  It was incredibly fun --- especially that first drop that you see here.  I was completely standing up in my seat.  I love the wooden roller coasters.

Moving quickly to the Titan before lines formed, we found out that due to weather??? it would be closed until the afternoon.  Odd, but okay.  Next stop was the Superman Tower of Power. We got in line and I kept looking up nervously.

Finally, I told Mister that it looked like an "oop your cookies ride" and that he should hop into the single rider line and I would enjoy watching.  I was serious -- I would ENJOY watching tremendously.  This ride went zooming to the top and then up and down in small increments until it clicked in at the top.  It sat there for a few moments and then free-fell towards the bottom with a few more small up and downs until coming to rest on the ground.  I literally had to laugh out loud when Mister walked up to me and said, "I didn't like that one."

We walked a short distance and came upon The Runaway Mine Train.  It is the oldest roller coaster in the park and so that made it an automatic "must ride" in my book.  Mister told me that he remembered riding it years ago and it was the "scary" roller coaster.  Pretty funny by today's standards but I thought it was a great ride.


Making our way around the park, the next area was Gotham City.  Pretty lame, I know.  We watched Batman The Ride for awhile and decided to give it a whirl.  It had a pretty long line and so we knew we were in for a wait and just grabbed a spot and started the process.  An hour later, we reach the ride only to discover that my clogs could not be worn as they would fall off during it.  I also could not ride without them attached to me for some odd reason although I could hook them to the bar, but without a strap that was not possible and I couldn't have loose objects in the seat with me.  Dang -- a lose, lose situation.  So, I sent Mister on his way and when he exited the ride he said, "You wouldn't have liked it," which made me feel better.  He then followed that with, "I am getting old," causing me to laugh again.


A tunnel leads under the road and over to and old wooden roller coaster named Judge Roy Scream.  It is a classic roller coaster and not many people were in the area.  We were able to ride it twice in a row without changing seats and I absolutely loved it.  The ups and downs were incredibly fun to this old lady and left me laughing instead of shaking.  Pure childish fun.

 Mister loves to sit in the last seat so that we go even faster.  I used to be a front seat person, but he sure is correct --- the front was waiting for us to climb the hills and then we zoomed down the entire length.


It was now afternoon and we had seen the Titan (check this link - actual ride) operating so made our way back over to it.  After a short half hour wait, it was our turn.  Now this dang coaster is HUGE - over 225 feet tall and speeds up to 85 mph.  As we started our climb to the top, I seriously questioned my intelligence.  I have to say that this is one amazing ride, but I definitely had jello legs when we exited.  That drop was nothing compared to the spirals.  The G-force was incredible.


That was it.  The Titan was my grand finale and I was ready to go and have some food.  I loved the park and the history behind it and the Six Flags story.  We stopped and checked out the six flags that DID indeed fly over Texas and started this entertainment venue right here in Arlington.  Cool.

It was now after 3 and I was starving.  We drove back into Dallas for a stop at our absolute favorite BBQ stop -- Sonny Bryans -- another Texas original right in our backyard.  This particular spot is over 100 years old.  Any restaurant that stays in the same spot and is still packed everyday after that long is a statement in itself.  What a success story.  Love the place, love the food.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are much braver than me!!! Looks like you had fun though!

    ReplyDelete