Sunday, May 16, 2010

Graduation and Commissioning: Trent's Turn

After a good night's sleep -- who am I kidding?  I played Farmville half the night.  I have a real addiction that is in need of an intervention I think.  Anyway, I am up and on my way to the airport to catch a flight to Cleveland.

I arrive and am met out front by Amanda.  We are off to the house to meet up with her "boys" and Trent's family as well.  Louis arrives shortly behind and we take our seats and the processional starts.  The boys do well through the opening remarks and the commencement speech give by Katie Couric.  At the point where it is time to start handing out degrees, the start to waiver but fortunately Dad is near the beginning.  Once he is seated, Louis (who joined us just as the ceremony was starting) and I take the boys outside to play so that Amanda and Trent's parents can enjoy this special time.

I m trying to be a good grandma, but I look around to discover that they boys have located an outside stairwell and are climbing on it.  Way to go Gammy.  Dang, they are quick.

Next up:  water.  Fortunately Mom and Dad are here now so if they get wet -- not my fault.  Smile.  Are these or are these not two really great looking boys?  Wow.

Congratulations Trent!  We absolutely could not be prouder of you.  You set yourself a goal and followed it all the way through not only in achieving it, but in excelling along the way.

It is picture time - always the best part of any event.  I honestly don't think I have seen smiles like this on my son-in-law for several years.  A slight break from stress, yes?



After a fun lunch/dinner with family, it is time for the second event of the day and the reason Louis made the trip here as well.  Trent is being commissioned an officer in the Air Force and receiving the rank of Captain.  He has asked Louis to be his commissioning officer.  Is that not just awesome?  It is being held at the home of a family friend and I have to tell you -- my eyes are tearing up most of the time.  To have two of my "sons" standing there together for such a solemn occasion after watching both of them graduate in their respective fields -- well, my heart is full.  I am so glad I am here -- this is truly something I would not have wanted to miss.


Introducing the new captain.


It has been a whirlwind weekend with flights all directions, hotels, car rentals, and all the logistics that go along with traveling like that.  I am glad it is behind me, BUT oh so glad I was a part of it.  Congrats again to both of my wonderful sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment