Saturday, July 22, 2017

Back to Utah - Days 3, 4, & Home - Ava's Birthday

It's ZOO DAY!  No matter where I go, I love zoos and the Hogle Zoo is such a fun one that I am thrilled Ophelia wants to go today.  While we are loading up the car, she pulls out her bike that Grandpa gave her and shows me how well she can ride now.  I am super impressed.

Pictures are never good enough so a couple of videos help me to remember.




Okay -- back on track.  The drive takes a bit of time so I get a chance to visit with Cass and love these moments.  As we enter the zoo, it turns out that they have added a "Feed the Giraffe" event and we want the girls to have a chance to experience this.

The line is kinda long and we make plans for me to trade out girls and take pictures while Cassie helps them out.

I am complete smiles just watching the "first-time" glee.

I'm not sure Ava really knows has a clue -- but she is definitely all eyes.



Okay, moving on.  We check the schedule and if we hurry, we can catch the sea lion training.  Their sessions are fun and we are lucky enough to snag spots right at the rail.  Perfect viewing.

I am loving this too.


When the show ends, we plan on making the next bird show but want to see a few exhibits and have a snack first.  There are play spots included.


Robotic displays are all around the grounds.  I love them but Cass finds it all "creepy."  I have hopes that the Dallas Zoo is on rotation to receive this exhibit.


Rhinos - another item missed in Dallas.


A fun moment -- but so hard to get all eyes going the same way.



And now -- Ava no longer wants any photos


I try so hard to make all stops viewable to Ava as well.  The elephants grab her attention and we could probably sit there all day.

Moving on-- another giant bug is now the focus of attention.

This is the biggest spider in the world.  Well at least the largest one I've ever seen.  I truly love it and want to watch it move up and down as if it is stalking us.  Too cool.




Our approach to the primate house is impeded by a beautiful peacock just strutting by.  We give a large berth and enjoy the beauty of this magnificent bird.

Just outside the building there is a gorilla statue that catches Ophelia's eyes and I love the way she just wanders over to check it out.

Most of the building is empty as the animals are all outside today.  As we are almost ready to give up, the orangutan habitat catches our eyes.  There is a BABY!!!  Woohoo.  


Around the corner is this wonderful diagram on the size of orangutans.  Her comparison to a juvenile is close in height but check out these arms.


Now for the carousel.  We have time for a ride and manage to snag a couple of spots right next to each other.



The time for the bird show draws near and the gates will open soon.  While Cassie takes the girls for a snack and bathroom break, I hold our spot in line.  Ophelia brings me treats every so often and I can't even describe how cute it is.  The first time Cassie sends her over, Ophelia says to her mom, "In her pink shorts and pink shirt" in response to asking if she knows where I am.

Soon, the bird show begins and all is off to a great start.  Halfway through, though, O has a slight meltdown and by the time the show is over we are all ready to go home.  Instead, the decision is made to get some lunch before heading there.


  Strength returns once again and we stop to see a few more animals on our way out.  Hello lions.  The entire pride is out and enjoying the afternoon sun.


Right near the exit are the zebras and I really want to see the not-so-small baby before we go.  I'm in luck and voila --- posing nicely.


It seems almost full-grown until I pan away and put mom in the picture too.


Whew - we make it out of the gates and are soon home again.  Naps and a quiet evening ensue.  Building blocks and Mardi Gras beads combine for an excellent time killer.

I'm beat and tomorrow is a busy day.  I have sewing to finish, thus I am heading downstairs to try and finish gifts.

21st -  Happy Birthday Ava!  I can't believe you are already one.

Time is flying by and my grandchildren are all growing up way too fast.  I really wish it would slow down a bit.  It's a pretty simple request.

Once I get a chance to say good morning to the girls (yes, even through a shower curtain),  I head back downstairs to finish up my project.  It WILL happen before a reappearance takes place.


Miss Ava has a cute 1st birthday shirt and is trying to stand by holding onto the table.  I'm so happy to be here and witness these milestones in person.


A trip to the grocery store nets us all the food and balloons we need for the party.  While Cassie works on a german chocolate cake, rice krispie treats, and fruit salad, I just sit and play.  Ophelia is helping daddy build the birthday gift for Ava so we locate the Mardi Gras beads and allow memories to flood me.  With all the beads around Ava's neck, I am taken back to the day her mom got all these beads.  I actually have a box of them in my hope chest too.


When O wakes, she wants to play with us as well.  Oh how 2 years change one's approach.  Now we are going to lay each one out in a rainbow.

The party doesn't start until 7 so Ava is ready for her dinner NOW.


Ophelia is busy cooking dinner for me in her kitchen.  It requires EVERY ingredient in her pantry an I love it.  The rooms are ready to go.  It's almost party time.



Ava's main gift from her parents is a water toy.  It doesn't take long for her sister to gather everyone under the age of 10 at it.

I think it is super cute and can see where it could definitely occupy some time.

The umbrella sets it off in my mind.




Time for cake.  And a song.




Will she share?  With me?  Not really.  With Mom?  Absolutely.




After a bath in the kitchen sink, bring on the presents.  Since Ava really can't open them herself, it is the perfect time for O to help and have some fun.


Quiet book delivered.

All the hours I put into this book are worth it.  O wants the book right away and that's a good thing.

Psst - her slippers fit.  Yay.

My heart is full.  Now for some more of the yummy punch.


While at Ophelia's party last month, her great aunt gifted her with a book all about her name.  Ava also receives one of these and I simply adore them.

I wish these had been available with my children and previous grandchildren as they are simply wonderful.  The best part is that since they are personalized, they will be treasured forever.



Happy Birthday my darling granddaughter.  The bow looks wonderful.


22nd -  After a late night pack up the room, I am on my way home again.  It's been a great trip but I miss my sweetie and am oh so ready to be together for a  few days.

See ya later Salt Lake.  My busy bag and I are on our way home.  Time for some more math and geometry.  At some point I will have all the clues for the upcoming mystery finished.  Do I have another trip soon?

Quick layover in Denver and then bye.  I'm almost back to Dallas.

No comments:

Post a Comment