Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Paddy's Day Dinner - Traditional

It is St. Patrick's day and I want to make a very traditional meal.  I know, I know -- corned beef and cabbage is what you are thinking, but no.  That is actually not a traditional meal in Ireland.  It is what the immigrants made here that was closest to something they ate in Ireland.  I want to do it right so first up is:

Irish Soda Bread - I have always wanted to make this and today seems appropriate.  Here we go.

In a bowl combine, 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used bread flour because I had it, but not required), 2T suga, 1t sugar, 1t baking powder, and 1/2t salt.




Add 3T butter, softened


Cut the butter in until mixture resembles fine crumbs.


Like this:


Stir in 1/3 cup raisins and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.  It took me almost a cup full.


Turn onto a lightly floured surface


Knead until smooth, 1 - 2 minutes


Shape into a round loaf, about 6 1/2" in diameter.


Cut an X about 1/4 through center of loaf with a floured knife.


Place on a greased cookie sheet (I used my stone and did not grease it as it is very well seasoned)


Bake in 375 degree oven until golden brown, 35-45 minutes.  Brush with butter if desired.  Doesn't this look amazing?  Oh, I can't wait to try it.


The next item is Colcannon (pronounced kohl-CAN-non) which is mashed potatoes with cabbage.  This is an entirely different way of making mashed potatoes for me so I am eager to see how it all works out.  First up:  Heat 1 inch salted water (1/2 teaspoon to 1 cup water) to boiling.  Add 2 pounds of potatoes (yes, I weighed them).  Heat to boiling and then reduce the heat.  cover and cook until tender, 30-35 minutes; drain.  While the potatoes are cooking, Shred 1/2 small head green cabbage (about 3 cups) and chop 6 scallions (with tops).  I didn't have any scallions so decided to use leeks instead and simply sliced them.


Heat cabbage, scallions (leeks), 1/4 cup water, and 1/8t salt to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer until crisp-tender, 5-10 minutes; drain.


Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.  I used a hand masher and am amazed at how the whole potatoes just mash right up.  Oh, my all that chopping I used to do.  Beat in 1/3 - 1/2 cup of milk in small amounts. (I just kept using my masher.)  Add 1/4 cup butter, 1t salt and a dash of pepper; beat until potatoes are light and fluffy.  (Again, I just kept using the masher and a spoon.)  Stir in cabbage and scallions (leeks); dot with butter.  It smells divine and looks super yummy.


Item number three is Ham Steaks with Irish Whiskey Sauce.  Now this is not exactly what they would have because ham as we know it was not used there.  They would have used boiled bacon and their bacon is not what we have here either.  So, I am punting here.

Brush 3-4 ham steaks with 1T melted butter (it won't use all of it).  I think I missed the melted part and just brush with soft butter.  Snip fat to prevent curling and grill for 7-8 minutes on each side.


For sauce:  Saute 2t onion, finely chopped, in remainder of butter until cooked.  Remove from heat and stir in 1T flour gradually.  Add 3/4 cup water or stock (I used vegetable stock) and return to heat.  Add 1t brown sugar and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 2 minutes to cook the flour.

If the sauce seems a little thick, add more water or stock.  Add 2t whiskey (of course I used Jamisons) and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Place ham steaks on a serving platter and pour on sauce.


Beautiful Meal



Our dessert is Cranachan (Toasted Almond, Honey, and Whiskey Cream).  Almost all Celtic countries have a dessert that's a variation on this theme:  cream, oatmeal, honey, fruit, sometimes nuts, and the local firewater -- in this case, Irish whiskey.

Toast 1/3 cup flaked almonds and 2/3 cup medium oatmeal in a dry frying pan until golden.

Gather  your ingredients for the cream.  You need 1 1/4 cup whipping cream or heavy double cream, 4T honey, 4T Irish whiskey, and 1T lemon juice (I used freshly squeezed).


Whip the cream in a bowl until of the consistency you desire.  Be careful, you don't want butter.

Stir in the honey and whiskey.  Fold in the almond/oatmeal mixture and finally the lemon juice.  The lemon juice will set everything so if  you don't want to whip the cream too much ahead of time.


Serve in tall glasses, garnished with raspberries.  I hope everyone had as nice of a St. Patrick's day as I did.  Making this meal was so much fun.  I really need to spend more time in the kitchen.  Doesn't this look delish?  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment