Sunday, July 25, 2021

Summertime in Montana - Days 11- 16 and Home

 19th - We are back to finishing up the family room desk today and come across an envelope full of pictures.  Mom settles in to put names on the backs of them (so happy for this) and while doing some comes across this picture of a great-uncle.  She starts telling me his story and I'm getting that "this has to be an exaggerated family legend feeling" so I head to the internet.  Lo, and behold - everything she's said is right there in print.  Want to know?  Let me share what I found and it's not always in order, but still intersting.

Please meet Ole A. Olson, a.k.a., The Hermit.  

"He was a quiet, unassuming fellow who didn't seek publicity.  But oh, how he could carve.  His name was Ole Olson, but he gained the fame he didn't want as Ole the Hermit.  He didn't always live alone.  He was married in 1921 to an Irish girl named Hazel but after her death in 1934, Ole settled down in Valley City, N.D., with only Bertha, his cat, for company and spent much of his time carving.  Ole died in 1966 but he left behind many carved figures which are popular because of their intricacy and the wry humor he carved into them."

Now for the details:


"Ole was an infant when his parents came from Norway to homestead near Litchville, N.D.  The family attended the North LaMoure Lutheran Church and the children (Ole was the oldest of eight and my grandmother's brother) attended rural Litchville schools.  When their father died, Ole was 16 and had to take over the farm and be head of the family.  He served in the U.S. military in France during World War I.  When he came home and married Hazel, he would up with a wife who was not the happiest bride in the world.  The newlyweds moved in with Ole's mother, who spoke only Norwegian, and Hazel couldn't speak or understand the language.  All of the other people her age spoke Norwegian, too.  That, coupled with the fact Hazel wasn't a good cook, prevented Ole from taking her to gatherings or from having friends and relatives in to eat, so their social life was almost nonexistent.  

But, along with farming, Ole carved and carved well:  figures of people, often of men wearing ill-fitting clothes and of women wearing shawls.  Or of people fishing.  Or, perhaps his most famous, an entire donkeyball game, now on load to the Barnes County Historical Society Museum from the State Historical Society of North Dakota and the North Dakota Council on the Arts.

Often, Ole would care someone reading a Bible and he carved many biblical personages, such as Adam, or Mary and baby Jesus on their way to Egypt.  His carvings became so popular that a Chicago department store offered him a nice salary just to sit and whittle while shoppers looked on.  Ole turned the offer down, saying, "What do you think I am?  A monkey in a cage?"

Ole was once hit by a car in Valley City while he was walking across the street.  His insurance adjuster told him he was entitled to compensation for his pain and suffering, but Ole wouldn't take it.  Just pay the doctor and hospital bills, he said.  That was enough.  Money meant nothing to him.  After Ole died, a number of letters were found in his workbench drawer, many of which contained uncashed checks people had sent  him in payment for his carvings.  That was Ole the Hermit, a man who carved a name for himself in North Dakota lore."

The two carvings shown, I found at mom's hidden on a very dusty shelf.  Next trip, I'll get them cleaned up.

Both desks are now finished and the paperwork is complete.  Whew.  When we cleaned out the first desk, we found these placemats and they needed the binding repaired in several places.  I finally got to them today and they are ready for use once again.


Once Mister finishes work for the day, he wants to get out for a bit so we drive into Bigfork to check out the Monday Market.  Parking down by the old bridge, a bit of a walk ensures.  We are right beside the dam.


Along the river's edge, I spot this beautiful Elderberry bush, just blooming.  Oh so delicate and wonderful.  


Into the market ---- lovely!  This is held at the Lake Baked park.  Once upon a time my sister ran a restaurant here called The Little Fork.  


Locating a spot (near a mister, which manages to keep us a bit damp), we settle in for a drink and some nice music.  A super nice group of people are nearby and we get a chance to visit.  It's a perfectly relaxing time and a great chance to just chill.


20th - It's Jill's birthday and after spending the ENTIRE day crocheting, we are off to Lake Hills to celebrate with her and the rest of the family.  Enjoy the moments - I do.


I can get to those stairs before you catch me - 













Happy Birthday Jill!!!!


It's tradition - pony boy time.


21st - Mom and I have a special appointment this morning.  I am taking her for her first pedicure.  Woot woot.  We arrive a bit early and shop the sales in a nearby store and then are ready.  I'm excited and as soon as they discover it's Mom's first time, the owner takes care of her.



All in all --- it's a good experience and I'm super happy to have had this time with her.  A quick stop at the grocery store on the way home and let's see what we can accomplish today.


As it turns out, we start in on her shoes.  So many shoes.  By the time we are finished, I have a black garbage bag full for donation and oh so many boxes to pitch.  Now to find shoe racks for the keepers.


Jill came over to say her good-byes tonight as she is leaving town for the weekend .  LOVE spending time with her and am so hopeful that she and her sweetheart can make a trip down to Texas for a little foodie fun.

Today is in the done column.

22nd -  I am off to Bigfork in the morning to drop off shoes and desk items at the thrift shop.  I also have a haircut appointment so once the drop is made, I'm heading there when I spot the Oscar Meyer Weenie Mobile.  Must stop!  Too fun.


Inside - 



Hahahaha ---- all by myself having fun.


Now for the haircut.  Gina is up to the task and I'm excited to lighten the load a bit.  The scary part is how "light" the load is getting.  So much white.


Mom suggested a trip into Kalispell after Mister is off work.  The plan is to find some shoe racks and that plan is quickly accomplished.  Now for some food and even through we have a 30 minute wait, Buffalo Wild Wings is the winner and everyone loves their meal.  It's a great evening with Mom and one that was thoroughly enjoyed.  After dinner and back home - the shoe racks are put together.


23rd -  I start the day by putting the shoe racks in Mom's closet and oh my goodness, they BARELY fit.  That was close.  Then I load up the racks with her shoes, sorted by color and season.  Task accomplished.  Now for the clothes.  I start laying stacks of hanging clothes from the closet and going through them with Mom but it doesn't take long to figure out that she can't stand for that long.  Off to her chair she goes, and I haul stack after stack of hangers to the living room and hold them up for her one at a time.  She does sooooo well and so much leaves.  She went from two full closets to one - it's still full, but it is so much better.  On the top shelf of her closet are bags of purses, so she settles in and goes through them too.  (Look at all the empty hangers on the sofa and you can't even see most of them.)



The finished result - with the purses she kept back on the top shelf.


It's a HUGE closet so beyond the doors on each side and, yes, you can walk all the way to the end.



Another trip to the thrift shop and I'm so pleased with how much we accomplished today.  She can find all her items so easily now and we know that it all fits.


This has been exhausting, I guess.


It's opening ceremonies for the Olympics and for some reason I just don't have the normal excitement.  I think this is the first time EVER that I am okay with not watching.  What is up with that?  I do watch the whole show tonight and nothing changes.  I guess this will be my Olympic experience for this year.

24th - Our time here is winding down and I'm both eager to get home and sad to go.  I have really enjoyed my time with family and being back up here is always good for my soul.  Breakfast (I should say brunch) at Somers Cafe - another tradition.


Mister and take a small drive down the lakeshore for a bit - just to sit at the lake and spend some time enjoying it.  It'll be awhile before we have this chance again.


Lovin' the haircut, Gina.



As we are walking, we spot this one tree.  It look HUGE.  Mister walks up for me to take a pic --- crazy Huge and right here by the lake.


Now for some water magic.  You know, the kind of spell you fall over just watching beautiful water.



Pizza is for dinner and a quick trip in Bigfork has me picking it up.  Nope, this isn't the place, but the clock is cool.


Argh --- Mom and I say our good-byes before bed as Mister and I will sneak out in the wee hours and don't wish to disturb her if we don't have to.  Momma, I had such a great time with you.  Love you so very much.

25th -  The sun is barely rising as we are boarding the flight back to Dallas.  It's another non-stop flight, which is awesome, but still hard to leave my beloved Montana.  I'm a Montana Girl through and through but with a huge chunk of my heart in Texas as well.


Dallas comes into view and we are soon on the ground and off for some lunch.


Then -- home, and 97 degrees out.  Naturally, Mister decides to mow the crazy overgrown lawn.  We are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment