Saturday, August 12, 2017

Red Hat Day

It's another RED HAT DAY!  The last time I was able to attend was clear back in May.  I tried so hard during both June and July but honestly feel that the universe was against me.  This month is not an exception BUT I am going to beat the universe.  It's midnight and I am in Abilene, TX.  That is at least 3 hours from where the Big D Re-Gals are gathering in Plano, TX.  Ugh.  How can I make this work?  I am supposed to leave at 5 a.m. to get the rental car back by nine so that should give me time to get cleaned up and off to the meeting.  I look at the clock again and it's now 1:30 a.m.  The heck with getting up at 5.  I am outta here.  Packing up quick, I hit the road at 2:00 a.m.  Wide awake and with classic country blasting on the radio the miles soon tick off.  THIS IS DEDICATION!  Also, there's a bit of guilt to ease from June and July.  (The meme at the side should say "Wanting to be a Member of the Red Hat Society.")



Arriving at 5 a.m.,  a few hours sleep is grabbed, a car returned, coffee inhaled, and a shower to revive.  I think I can do this.  Look out Red Hatters, I'm coming your way.

We are meeting at Mexican Sugar in the Shops at Legacy and it's an all new area to me.  Still hopped up on coffee to prop these eyelids open, in I go and am greeted with warmth and smiles all around in addition to this lovely bouquet of flowers.

Red hats abound and the usual catching up with each other is going on.  There are quite a few new faces this time and for many of them, I'm one too.

What a beautiful smile on our Queen Cynthia.



Strike a pose -


Oh thank you Etta --- I adore your "Red Hat" shirt.  Truly.  Also -- Almost twin dresses - not quite though.


Ladies are settling in


and the whole table is full except one seat.


June is the newest member, taking her vows today.  I try and edge as close as I can so that I can hear just what I'll have to vow to do in a few months.

As Cynthia reads her vows to her, smiles soon become full and I hear the word "fraternize".  I have to fraternize?  Someone please fill me in on who it is I'm not supposed to be friends with and yet must.


And it's done --- she's full fledged now.


Table photos are my love so I ask to have one taken.  It's just a joy to see everyone in an informal setting now and then.  Yes, me too, thanks to Cynthia for the picture she took.  I appreciate it so much.

It's time to eat.  I have split an order of pancakes with June and am super thankful as it is a large amount.  Across the way, Joan receives a warm napkin aside her meal and is stumped as to why.  Perhaps they think she will really make a mess?  Just as I'm about to say that perhaps there are tortillas in it, she discovers that fact for herself.


Dessert is ordered by Vickie and she wants everyone to see what we are missing out on.  It does look yummy.  I almost bend, but no -- holding strong.  There was syrup on my pancakes so that'll be my sugar for today.  Besides, the coffee is wearing off and I'm ready for a nap.


As dessert is coming around so does Sohair, who apparently has been lost this whole time.  Oh so sad.  She orders a meal to go and I'm delighted to get a chance to visit with her as she is from Egypt.

No birthdays this month, so no kazoos.  Dang.  At any rate, the food was good, conversation delightful, and once again I am impressed by the warmth around me.  Thank you, Arlene, for making me once again feel welcome as you had to endure my inane, sleepy conversation from across the table.  You are true champ.

A quick group picture and it's time to call this one done.  See ya'll next time if the universe allows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment