Monday, December 23, 2013

Glass Fusion -- A Date Afternoon!

Okay -- it is confession time.  Last Christmas Jen gave Mister and I a gift certificate to Quiggley's Clayhouse and we misplaced it.  We found it a couple of months ago and then forgot it again.  What can I say -- we are old.  I remembered it again today and called to see if they were open.  The lady who answered said that she was only in the shop for those who were picking up orders.  I then explained our situation to her and that the certificate would expire on December 25.  She laughed at me and and said to come on over so we quickly dressed and headed over there.

It took a few minutes for us to look through the products and make our decisions on what we ultimately wanted to make.  Mister opted for a bowl and I chose a wall hanging for my studio.

First step:  Clean the glass with alcohol.

Second step:  Listen to instructions closely.  We learn about the different firing levels and how the various glasses look when they are removed from the kiln.  There are many different tools to cut the glass and I am excited to get started.

Third step:  Select our colors and glasses.  Mister goes with browns, oranges, and whites.  I head for the broken pieces to make a quilt block or two with a mosaic look.



We spend almost 3 hours there and had to leave our projects for firing.  I wish I had used more variety in my greens, but overall I like the product.  I hope it fires well.  Mister's is perfect!  Oh please let it mold nicely as a bowl.



This was such fun and we are definitely going to come back.  There are so many cool things to do here.  Thank you Jen for giving us a wonderful experience.  Excellent gift -- even if it did take us a year to use it.


UPDATE:  January 15 -- We were able to pick up our finished projects today.  I LOVE them!!!  This was just waaaaay too fun.  Doesn't Mister's just look awesome.  I am seriously considering making him a quilt just like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment