Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve - Good Food -- Great Friend

It is Christmas Eve and I have absolutely no idea how that happened.  This year literally flew by and the past month zoomed.  Wasn't it just Thanksgiving?

We are alone this year for Christmas -- no, I am not saying that in a pity me way -- we are simply the only two in our house.  We thought and thought about what to do and then gave a call to a girlfriend who doesn't have family here either.  Upon her acceptance, we decide to just cook dinner at our house and share the evening together.

Mister puts a prime rib in the oven -- yep, good stuff.  Since we are going to his family tomorrow, this is "our" Christmas dinner.  While that gets started, I decide to make a gift for Jennie so I quickly crochet her a scarf and I LOVE the colors.


Jennie arrives with all the supplies to make Yorkshire pudding.  I am pretty excited to watch and learn from her as not only have I not made it before, but I have never tasted it.  Soon the oven is heated and the fat from the roast is put into muffin tins and then into a hot, hot, hot oven.  When the liquid is boiling, the pan is removed and the pudding batter is poured in.  Close the door and watch.  They start to puff up -- reminds me of popovers.

The roast is accompanied by twice baked potatoes, fresh asparagus, and yorkshire pudding.  Oh goodness, my mouth is watering.  It is time to eat.



Jennie and I set the table in red and white -- and everything looks amazing.


Simply divine!


After dinner, we take a few minutes to exchange gifts and she loves the scarf.  Seriously -- you know how sometimes people say they like something, but not really?  Well, not this time -- her excitement was contagious and genuine.  Yay!

It has been a fun evening.  Great conversation, excellent food, and a super friend.  Perfect evening.

After Jen heads home, we snuggle up and watch a show together before climbing into bed.  Tomorrow is Christmas and although Santa is not stopping at our house, we are looking forward to the day with family and each other.

Merry Christmas everyone.  Hope you night was as superb as ours was.




No comments:

Post a Comment