Saturday, November 16, 2019

Fun in Dallas - Part 1 - Zoo and Deep Ellum

My sweetheart is still officially on vacation and after a day cleaning up the yard yesterday, we are out of the house this morning.  It's a beautiful day and we'er going walking --- first at the zoo.  The hippos are out and enjoying the morning too.  What a great beginning.




Too funny!!!


The monorail is having one of it's rare working days so we decide to take advantage and peek in on the animals out in the Wilds of Africa.  The Grey Crowned Cranes are enjoying a bit of sunshine too. We watch for a bit as one runs around, flapping its wings like crazy.  I'm not sure if it is a mating dance or what.  Up to the train we go and settle in with front row seats.  And away we go --- the animals back here are only view-able if one takes the train.  It is, perhaps, my biggest pet peeve here at the zoo and if they want to make improvements to the park -- make this part walk-able.  I would be happy to make the trek so that I could stand and watch these magnificent creatures more for a longer period of time.  The train only gives us about a minute and that's just not near enough.

A Nubian Ibex peeks around the corner at us.


It's bath time for the White Pelicans.


Bongo Antelope checking us out.


Scimitar Oryx --- so beautiful and majestic.  Love those horns.


Addax - sometimes known as the White Antelope


Somali Wild Ass --- and not super interested in having their picture taken.


I do manage to catch one in the process of a dust bath.


Red River Hogs out and about.


Maribou Storks --- the one on the far right is running into my picture.


Nile Crocodiles basking in the sun.


Our ride has ended and as we exit, these Griffon Vultures (I admit, I'm guessing here as I didn't write it down) are doing their own method of sunning.  The lower one needs lessons though, as his sun has moved.


Just outside the monorail, the Wild Encounter stage has flamingos out and these two birds are the most forward I've seen.  They are up close and in my face.  Truth.  Oh to reach out and touch.


Isn't this wonderful?  My camera is NOT zoomed in.



A peek at the black wings that are always hidden.


It's hard to leave the stage (both for the flamingos, who refuse to go) and for us, but I want to see a few more wonders today.  ELEPHANTS!!!  Ajabu has gotten soooo big.


African Painted Dog


And that's it for today.  From the zoo, we make our way to Deep Ellum as they have an Art Festival going today and, well, Deep Ellum is always fun -- with great food.  One shop has these wood cutouts on exhibit ---- OMG.


Walking past one shop, it says Skate Bowl and I have to go check it out.  Wow --- Next time Ryan visits I'm taking him here ---- he'd love it. 

Are you hungry?  I am and hopefully this time Monkey King will not be out of soup.  Happily, they are not, but, unhappily, they no longer pull the noodles to order.  It's probably the last time we'll go due to that change.  I'm so sad and pulling the noodles was not only fun to watch, but you knew everything was soooooo fresh.


Looking out the window as we enjoy our soup, I see Le Bon Temps.  Dessert is calling.  I haven't had a beignats in forever.  I really want one today.


Imagine my surprise when it turns out that I can watch them being made.  YES!!!!  Peek through the window with me.  The POWDER is confectioners' sugar.  It's everywhere.



Oh such wonderful fun in my mouth.  These are incredible.


The best part --- I almost feel like I'm in New Orleans (I know, some would say France, but I haven't had beignets and chicory coffee there).  Sitting on the sidewalk, enjoying a hot treat with chicory coffee.  What a perfect break in our day.

Now to figure out how to spend the rest of it.  Neither of us is ready to go home just yet.  What other mischief can we find?  Stay tuned, perhaps there will be another post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment